1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big jessie for tomorrow

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by goo_mason, 8 Jan 2008.

1. goo_mason

goo_mason Champion barbed-wire hurdler

I think I'll take the bus to work tomorrow !! The wind is battering off the walls at the mo, and is forecast on Metcheck as being about 36mph (gusts to 56mph) at 6am tomorrow, increasing to 49mph (gusts to 77mph) by 9am, with around 30+ mph (gusts to 52mph) by hometime at 3.45pm.

None of which sound particularly safe for cycling in, so I'll be a big jessie for the day and travel in by bus :biggrin:

Anyone else having second thoughts about cycling tomorrow ?

2. Disappointing :biggrin:

No but day off but as I haven't missed a cycle commute in five years I dont plan to start now.

3. Maz

Maz Guru

None of this 'big jessie' talk, goo!
    You're making a wise decision.

4. tdr1nka

tdr1nka Taking the biscuit

If it's tipping down like it is the noo, then no.
    Ms tdr1nka doesn't need to get drenched on the way to school!
    I'm not so worried by the wind as I'm continually compensating for Ms tdr1nka who does like to fidget making the tag-a-long pull me from side to side.

Come to think of it, if you need to practice riding in strong and unpredictable winds attach a 5 year old on a tag-a-long tandem for a simple simulation.

T x

5. Must admit the wind is scary when it is strong so if it is going to be bad you are probably making a wise decision.

6. col

col Veteran

It was that bad here,i was getting buffered all over the place at work,on certain roads.Not a cycling day i think.

7. magnatom

magnatom Guest

For once there will be no 'big jessie' from me. This morning on the local news they were suggesting gusts of up to 80mph were possible. That would make a great tail wind, but not such a great cross-wind :ohmy:xx(.

My wife had the car this morning, the Erskine Bridge was closed so everyone and their granny was going through the Clyde Tunnel. It was a taxi for me (a rare treat!)

The finger's on the mend now and looking like a finger again. I'll be back on the bike next week for sure. Thank goodness for antibiotics (on this occasion I think I probably did need them!!)

8. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

not too bad in Manchester area, just a bit breezy, much less than the last two days.

9. Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

Cycle today? Aye, f u c k that.

10. I tried too but after losing my glasses, found them minus a lens (unfortunately the insurance won't cover me) I doubled back and took the bus, I think goo made the right decision.

11. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Huge Member

hmm why would that be !!! ;)

12. Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

surely even you didn't attempt it Grumpole?

13. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Huge Member

ive done it in the past and my radge neighbour over the road has been known to jump the barrier but alas not an effin chance today ;)

14. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

Is "jessie" the polite version of "pussy"?

15. magnatom

magnatom Guest

Close. I would probably translate it as 'big girls blouse'.