BIG mistake....my own fault!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I went to overtake a lorry that was stationary in a line of traffic, no cars were coming the other way, as I come around the back of the lorry I see a bus has stopped and car is overtaking it, there wasn't enough room for both of us, so we both do an emergency stop, I had trouble unclipping being caught totally off guard. I managed to unclip but fell slightly towards the lorry I had been overtaking, the lorry was just starting to pull away and it had one of those hooks on the trailer for wrapping rope around, this caught me just inside of arm around the tricep area and ripped all the way through to the flesh. Talk about pain!!!!!! I still had 6 miles of my commute to do, which was done through gritted teeth. What a mess my arm is in!! I can't help think how lucky I am that it was a bit warmer this morning and I was wearing a short sleeve shirt, god knows what would have happened if I had been wearing long sleeves and the hook had caught on that? dragged under the wheels perhaps?!?!?!?

I feel like a right f_c_ing idiot, I'm usually so careful and aware of my surrounding when cycling!!!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Ooooh, lucky you mate! Crikey that's scary. I once did something very close to that and had my bacon saved by an observant Royal Mail lorry driver.

Nasty EMD! :blush: Glad the injury was relatively minor. When I posted here about one of my previous videos (

) someone made a comment about me overtaking a lorry where I could not see beyond it. I have since dealt with situations like this with much more caution.

Have a virtual shot of whiskey from me to help calm the nerves....:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yikes. Still, you're moderately OK, and it could have been so much worse...

Have a cuppa and some cake, for the shock.

Maz

Guru
Sounds awful! Glad you came out of it relatively unscathed. I'd try and cadge a lift home, if you don't feel up to cycling.

domtyler

Über Member
It is not a nice feeling when you realise that you have f#*cked up but it is too late to do anything about it! Hope you heel up quickly and avoid doing it again. Next time hit the car instead of the lorry!!!!

domtyler said:
It is not a nice feeling when you realise that you have f#*cked up but it is too late to do anything about it! Hope you heel up quickly and avoid doing it again. Next time hit the car instead of the lorry!!!!

I didn't so much 'hit' the lorry. I had a panick wobble trying to unclip, maged to put my foot down, the though "phew" was about to go through mind, when the hook dug in!!

Top Bottom