Big offs

The crash I was involved in happened mainly because of...

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stalagmike

Enormous member
Those of you who have been involved in big 'offs' when cycling. I was wondering about the percentage that can be put down to rider error, other road users, or just unlucky or freaky occurrences? So I'm doing a poll. Please try to be as honest as you can about the reasons behind your accident.

bpsmith

Veteran
My freak occurrence happened on a cycle track well into the countryside, which was flanked by trees either side.

A Red Kite (as in the bird) swooped down to catch a rodent from an opening where a farm gate was. It couldn’t see me and I couldn’t see it, although luckily we didn’t collide.

Beautiful thing it was, close up.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Big off for me = trip to A & E and significant after effects needing follow up treatment.

All have been rider error.

MiK1138

Veteran
wet road,steep hill travelling to fast for the conditions went right over across right hand lane managed to get it back just as I reached the verge, it was the muddy verge that had me off, lucky there was no approaching traffic or I could have been a goner, lesson learned

Drago

Legendary Member
Mine is an event of which I have spoken many times. The crash and subsequent broken leg was caused by the effects of transonic buffeting on my Raleigh Chopper, which had set in at about 670 MPH. I was within a whisker of breaking the sound barrier when I suffered a bad dose of control reversal. I involuntarily bailed out of the cockpit but my chute failed to deploy and I received my injury as I fell to Earth. The official time keepers from the RAF and Guinness World records ( who all happened to be my 8 year old friends) rushed to my aid and I was rushed to the Wing Commanders officer, and then conveyed to hospital in the CO's (my Dad's) Volvo estate.

The aircraft was repaired, although it retained some cosmetic marks from its ordeal. It flew again many times, but the airframe was deemed to have been placed under too much stress for any further record attempts, so was reserved for airshows outside the chip shop. I did try to get my cycling proficiency airworthiness certificate by the scrutineer was unhappy with the safety of the Raleigh Chopper/Bell X1 hybrid, and I had to borrow a bike from the ground crew (my Sister) to take the test.

Over the years I lost touch with Ginger, Lofty, Fatty, and the other lads from the squadron, but we forever share the bond of having lived through such harrowing times as we pushed the envelope of cold war bicycle speed supremacy.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I think I've told this story before but...

I came up to a right hand bend on a narrow twisty country lane up near Pendle. Way too fast. I had a choice of either locking up the back brake and powersliding gracefully around the bend (as if) or going straight ahead into the banking, using it as a ramp and jumping evil kinevil stylee over the barbed wire fence and landing softly in the field behind it.
I chose flight.
When I woke up, I could see my fellow clubmates unfolding my bike by sticking the front forks in a bench and pulling back on the frame. I was able to ride it home but it was effectively a write off in insurance terms.
My stunt bike that day was a near new Giant Peloton road bike.

How effing stupid was I. :wacko:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Ice. Downhill. 30mph. It was a major road so well gritted. But along this particular section there was run off water from the adjacent field which froze overnight.

By the time I saw it, it was too late. I figured if I kept the bars straight and not make sudden movement, I might roll over it.

But it wasn't to be. A rear wheel twitch to the left, then to the right, then to the left, then slam. I rolled along this sheet of ice for about 10 metres. Was ok as no cars behind and the numerous layers meant I got off with mild bruising.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Mtb enough said

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Tyre blowout deep in to a tight right hander downhill at 20mph happened so fast didn't take my hands off the hoods, but instinctively stuck my elbow out which in turn shot my arm out of my shoulder taking a bit with it. Made my way back to work to get changed before A&E though. Wasn't really until I was trying to get changed realised how fubared my shoulder was, had to get someone to help me out not sure he has recovered yet. If the A&E consultant had not been so cavalier trying to get it back in with me awake, having already commented on the muscle structure it wouldn't have been so bad.

Eventfully they decided to take me in to the resuss area to knock me out, wired me up and BP was really high and so was my heart rate, well for me which I knew but they didn't. Just as the morphione and knockout juice was coursing thorugh my veins the machine went berserk. All my stats came tumbling down rapidly I guess it looked pretty dramatic as the bloke who was knocking me out kept asking how far I cycled and did I know my normal heart rate in my dazed state I just kept replying about a mile and walked back..... My wife filled in the blanks for him to his great relief. Due tot the multiple attempts before I was black and blue all down my arm.

Tyre fault is my opinion but a niggling thought I might have trapped the tube under the bead but never realy knew.

vickster

Legendary Member
Cr@p on the road :wacko:
Cr@p road surface :rolleyes:
Cr@p cycling infrastructure :thumbsdown:
Cr@p one sided SPD pedals :blush:

And the most impactful, a car driver executing an overtake cr@ply :sad:

All but the last might have also had an element of me being a bit cr@p :blush:

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I think I've told this story before but...

I came up to a right hand bend on a narrow twisty country lane up near Pendle. Way too fast. I had a choice of either locking up the back brake and powersliding gracefully around the bend (as if) or going straight ahead into the banking, using it as a ramp and jumping evil kinevil stylee over the barbed wire fence and landing softly in the field behind it.
I chose flight.
When I woke up, I could see my fellow clubmates unfolding my bike by sticking the front forks in a bench and pulling back on the frame. I was able to ride it home but it was effectively a write off in insurance terms.
My stunt bike that day was a near new Giant Peloton road bike.

How effing stupid was I. :wacko:
Pedant mode on /Cube make the Peloton I think / Pedant mode off

Jody

Stubborn git
MTB crashes don't count, period. Loser!

There was no stipluation to this so I put myself down for rider error.

I could count my OTB doing about 25mph as other due to workmen not covering up a gaping hole in the tarmac. But it was on a rigid MTB so does that count :wacko:

Chappy

Guru
Heavy rain and a dark winter morning commute do not make a good combination when tram lines are involved.

The only saving grace was the huge puddle which was more swimming pool really that stopped me from having more than just cracked ribs as I went over the handlebars and slid up the road on my stomach.

Top Bottom