Big ring vs little ring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lonestar

Veteran
Actually I'm the opposite.

My head tells me its easier being in the large ring and large cog rather than small ring and small cog.

I've always wondered because if I ever bought a single speed, I wasn't sure if I should buy one with large ring plus small cog or smaller ring but larger cog. Mathematically I guess (I really don't know) that you're applying the same power and getting the same speed. I also wondering in terms of how quickly the chain and cog wear when they are of different sizes.

I have found (on the fixie) by fitting a large cog on the front the chain has become more stable even with slackness.It wasn't before.42 teeth apparently and now it's 50.

si_c

Guru
I'm gonna sit on the fence. Obviously the big ring is harder but it also feels smoother, more natural, somehow easier to find a rhythm so where I can do so without having a hernia I tend to use the big.

I find the same, I prefer the feel of the big ring. The length of the crankarm may make a difference here too.

Assuming identical gear ratios, a large ring/large sprocket combo will have lower friction losses than small ring/small sprocket because each link rotates less as it passes the teeth.
You also need to factor chainline.

MTBs of 1990s used small/small in preference to big/big for greater ground-clearance and lower weight, but you are assuming that both options are on the same bike.

OP
OP
berty bassett

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Anyone got any links to physics leverage calculations based on the length of the crank arms and the position of the chain relative to the fulcrum? Does it make a difference in two gears of the same tooth to tooth ratio? For instance, if a 70 inch gear combination is selected using small front and small rear, is the leverage force required to turn the cranks the same as a 70 inch gear using large front and large rear?
now thats what i was trying to say !

mythste

Veteran
Weirdly, I feel it's easier and smoothe in my little ring more often than not. There's a bit of a commuting sweet spot for me (with panniers fully laden) that if I notch down two gears on the rear and switch from big ring to little, my cadence and speed stay the same but it feels easier.

All in me head probably.

mustang1

Legendary Member
i never have my chain off the 53 ring.i can get all the range on the back with just a small amount of chain tinkle on front mech on the extreme crossover.i only have a short 100m ramp on my cycle to work,which i get out of the saddle for.try keeping it on the big ring all the time for a while it will transform your cycling experience...i believe...
There's a hill that I always use the small ring but I've tried it with the large ring a couple of times and it feels better. And faster too. But I'm quite wiling to accept I might have been having a powerful day at the time.

Soon I will change my username to megapower.

I'll try that hill again tonight and report back.

Edit:
As mentioned above, I tried that hill again in the large chainring but this time I went to the 2nd and third largest cogs at the back (instead of just sticking to the 1st largest).

It felt good but I wish I powered thru even harder and didn't pace myself because eindont think I needed to. So, idk which is scientifically better, the small ring or the large one, but the large one FELT better. Not only that, but I wasnt going tontackle the hill tonight, its just car drivers really bugged me off so I was in the mood to let off some steam.

Last edited:

Citius

But that doesn't take into account the chain friction.

It's a gear inch table. Why should it account for something that has such little relevance?

Last edited:

mustang1

Legendary Member
How do you mean "stable", like it doesn't flop around when it has stretched?

I have found (on the fixie) by fitting a large cog on the front the chain has become more stable even with slackness.It wasn't before.42 teeth apparently and now it's 50.

mustang1

Legendary Member
How do you mean "stable", like it doesn't flop around when it has stretched?

mustang1

Legendary Member
It's a gear inch table. Why should it account for something that has such little relevance?
Good point, but the point I was making that it may not just be about gear inches. For example if I submerge the cassette in honey, the gear inches table would still be correct, but performance still altered. So I figured the friction in the chain (cross chaining, dirt, even honey) may be relevant when describing the feel.

Citius

Good point, but the point I was making that it may not just be about gear inches. For example if I submerge the cassette in honey, the gear inches table would still be correct, but performance still altered. So I figured the friction in the chain (cross chaining, dirt, even honey) may be relevant when describing the feel.

23226d1429728310t-mage-update-3-2-350x700px-ll-82bfff63_not-sure-dog.jpe

Top Bottom