Bigger Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 5529299, member: 9609"] why do bike brake pads have a tread type surface ?[/QUOTE]

One can only speculate but my two guesses are:

1) The manufacturer doesn't understand (and as unlikely as that sounds, that's exactly my experience with an interview I had with a major aftermarket pad manufacturer).
2) The public perception that ridges and grooves are beneficial and smooth is bad.

Ridges and grooves not only reduces the pad's surface area which has an effect on heat and longevity, but it also lets the pad squirm and therefore squeal.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ridges and grooves not only reduces the pad's surface area which has an effect on heat and longevity, but it also lets the pad squirm and therefore squeal.
And they are also great at trapping small pieces of grit picked up from the road, and using them to score grooves in rims! :thumbsdown:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I had a look at this which is about my level: :laugh:
https://www.ducksters.com/science/friction.php
If size doesn't matter why do manufacturers not make calipers/pads smaller especially for those riders where a few grams saved is critical?
From the link: "There are two main factors that will influence the total amount of friction: 1) the roughness of the surfaces (or the "coefficient of friction") and 2) the force between the two objects."
Note that the area in contact ('tween pad and rim) is not one of these two factors - so size doesn't matter (same with the size of the contact area between a tyre and a road (smoothish) surface).

screenman

Legendary Member
Move somewhere flat. I just admit the first time I used Kool stops I nearly went over the bars, which has just reminded me to get some more. For cleaning time I use brake cleaner, nothing else gets close in my opinion.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
In the 90s, when rims were anodised but didn't have machined sidewalls, braking in the wet was interesting. Not much happened for the first few wheel revolutions (hard grey anodising isn't a good braking surface), then the brakes would suddenly grab as the rim dried off.

In the 90s, when rims were anodised but didn't have machined sidewalls, braking in the wet was interesting. Not much happened for the first few wheel revolutions (hard grey anodising isn't a good braking surface), then the brakes would suddenly grab as the rim dried off.
No kidding. Those things were lethal. Stupid idea.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
They were ok after a couple of thousand miles' wet riding, when the anodising eventually wore off. It did so in an unsightly manner; spoke tension causes it to be ground off in a peculiar wavy pattern. You don't see it these days, as new rims usually have machined brake tracks.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Mavic Open 4CD (the CD meant hard anodised) were pretty much the standard club rim. They're probably £50 each over on retrobike these days.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
The lubricating second layer is gone, yet the boundary layer remains. It only disappears through evaporation. Wipe your bathroom mirror with a squeegee and see this in action.
Yes, squeaky clean glassware/crockery is best achieved through the air dry method.
Wot?
None on here ever needed 2000 sparkling clean wine glasses?
Ach well, if you had, @User9609, you would be in no doubt on why your bike does not stop :tongue:

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
To answer the OP's question,
YES they will fit and give improved braking. Don't know what percentage though.
Being 40% larger they don't wear as fast so you can use softer compound pads, which will also give improved braking.
Pads for wet weather are good.

That being said "Cleaning is always a good idea" if you want the wheels to last.
And just putting bigger pads on to improve braking maybe hiding a larger fault with the system, check/replace/lube cables, check weather levers and calipers are matched/clean/adjusted and lubed properly.
Also your old pads may have hardened with age/weathering.

Last edited:
Top Bottom