Bigger climbing cassette Shim 105 advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
If you are considering swapping out the chainset, then see this post, from @rivers who has done exactly that. I don't think a front mech change was needed.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/mullet-drivetrain-conversion.285302/page-3#post-6732815

In fact the whole thread is worth reading, if you skip the bits where people are bitching about triples.

Nope, no front mech change needed to put the 46/30 on. I did need to change the bottom bracket because the spindle sizes were different on the chainsets. I already had the chainset, but if I had to buy new, I would have bought one that worked with the original bottom bracket.

T4tomo

Guru
as Jens used to say "Shut up Legs":okay:

Nope, no front mech change needed to put the 46/30 on. I did need to change the bottom bracket because the spindle sizes were different on the chainsets. I already had the chainset, but if I had to buy new, I would have bought one that worked with the original bottom bracket.
and, to be helpful to the OP, you presumably went Mullet (ie mixing MTB and road components by use of the shiftmate) because the Deore / MTB rear mech was cheaper than a GRX one that would have been compatible with your road shifters?

GuyBoden

Guru
:okay:
its 6% easier on 34-34 than 34-32. Only you can know if this is enough, but you will tell a difference. Your rear derailleur will cope with this. If you want to run a 40 or 42T gravel option you will need a long cage gravel derailleur RD-RX812 is the long cage one.

View attachment 661978
Yes, if the OP has 11 speed, the RD-RX812 seems a good long term option with a 42T or 40T low sprocket cassette.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/grx-11-speed/RD-RX812.html
@HumpTdumpty you'll need the 40T or 42T as you get older, so why not install it now.:okay:

Last edited:

rivers

How far can I go?
Yep,I did the whole upgrade for less than the cost of a grx rear derailleur. Plus the wrap capacity is greater on the deore rear derailleur (41 vs 30 teeth).
as Jens used to say "Shut up Legs":okay:

and, to be helpful to the OP, you presumably went Mullet (ie mixing MTB and road components by use of the shiftmate) because the Deore / MTB rear mech was cheaper than a GRX one that would have been compatible with your road shifters?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Holy Moses, you could ride up the side of a house on 34x32! I used to ride around the Staffordshire Moorlands on 39x23 with a 3st child on the Hamax seat! Do you live at the top of Rosedale Chimney?

each to their own , i managed 27 % on a 36x28 but everyone is different :smile:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
BITD when I was young and fit my bottom gear was 40/28. I hated it and frequently had to get off and push.

These days I have a 34/34 which is much better.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Holy Moses, you could ride up the side of a house on 34x32! I used to ride around the Staffordshire Moorlands on 39x23 with a 3st child on the Hamax seat! Do you live at the top of Rosedale Chimney?

It’s pretty flat on those moorlands …

I don't like 34-34 as I'm obviously a big wimp. Instead for hilly rides I use a drop link and a 42T cassette, 34-42 is rather good for hills. Bike is 105 throughout, the gear change is slightly less slick with the circular saw/dinner plate (other insults are available) cassette fitted.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Changed my 50/34 105 chainset for a Spa 44/28 both with an 11-32 cassette. Transformed my enjoyment of the bike in the Lakes and western dales where I do most of my riding. Didn’t have to change front mech but did need a square taper BB. As well as the low 28 x32 bottom gear, I’ve also appreciated not have to change between chainrings so often in the continuously undulating terrain round here.

OP
OP
HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty
Many many thanks to everyone I feel a lot more informed now s as nd I think the safety first route of the 34 makes a lot of sense as I said previously I’m no mountain goat so I’m sure that will suffice 👍

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
It’s pretty flat on those moorlands …

Yeah, just like a billiards table... :whistle: You've presumably never been here... Southern fringes of the Peak District - lovely riding :okay:
1663915316305.png

In all seriousness, hills are supposed to hurt. To me, there's no satisfaction in winching ones way up a hill at slower-than-walking pace. If you're struggling to turn the pedals in 34x32 (30rpm ~2.5mph), 34x34 isn't going to be much different - definitely not worth spaffing loads of money on overhauling your transmission, unless you're doing serious heavy-laden touring in vertiginous terrain.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
In all seriousness, hills are supposed to hurt. To me, there's no satisfaction in winching ones way up a hill at slower-than-walking pace. If you're struggling to turn the pedals in 34x32 (30rpm ~2.5mph), 34x34 isn't going to be much different - definitely not worth spaffing loads of money on overhauling your transmission, unless you're doing serious heavy-laden touring in vertiginous terrain.
34/34 is significantly different to 34/32 in my experience at least.

And who are you to tell me what to spend my money on?

I thought we'd moved on from machismo and bragging about gears, but evidently not.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Cheesy peas, I think someone needs to go out for a bike ride to let off some of that pent-up aggression. :whistle:
My apologies, I didn't realise I'd stumbled into the Big Sprocket Appreciation Society.

Top Bottom