Bigger Tyres Same pressure Harsher ride ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
I only put about 55 in 32s.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The amount of energy lost can be large too; BCQ did some tests at 17 mph riding on U.S. rumble strips, and found that 279 watts more power was needed to maintain speed than on the immediately adjacent smooth road.
Are you sure that it wasn't 27.9 watts? I find that number unbelievable!

It would only take about 145 watts for me to do 17 mph on a good surface. I can't believe that it would take nearly 3 times that on a road with rumble strips.

We have lots of cobbled roads round here and I'm sure that I could ride over them at 17 mph. I wouldn't enjoy it much, but I could manage it and I doubt that I can average much more than 200 W currently.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Are you sure that it wasn't 27.9 watts?
Plus 1. If you needed an extra 279w for the rumble strip most riders would only be able to manage a minute - of course we don't know just how 'vigorous' the rumble strip is/was that they used for testing.
I, too, am surprised that the OP needs feels they need such high pressures in 32s unless they are very 'powerful'. See this seminal BQ article and chart and extrapolate as required.

Attachments

• TyreInflationPressures.pdf
    201.6 KB · Views: 67

DRM

Guru
I think your pressure is far too high my winter bike has continental ultra sport 28’s I run them at 83 rear 78 ish front, I’m about 82 kg

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Tried them on 80psi today. Ride was a lot smoother. These were a temporary experiment when I get the new tyres I am going back to 28c as the 32c were ok but just slightly too close to the chain stays for my liking.

Top Bottom