Biggest annoyance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Killiekevin

Been commuting now for almost a year and I am by all accounts quite laid back on the road. Generally let bad/inconsiderate driving go with nothing more than a mild, muttered expletive and a daydream about the driver denting his car further along the road.

One thing that really annoys me irrationally though is when cars go through lights knowing that they wont be able to get through the junction completely and then when my lights go green you need to hesitate as you're never sure whether they will just sit in no mans land or try and shoot through quickly. Most things I can let go but that frustrates me no end.

Please tell me I'm not the only person with an irrational annoyance of something relatively small.

Jimidh

Veteran
My main annoyance is when you are riding though town at the same speed as the rest of the traffic and a driver is desperate to go past you.

When they get past you i then have to ride right behind them and often have to slow down for them as the slow down for speed humps or narrow roads.

There's a give way line for me.

Here:

fat-cat-ext1.jpg

I'm riding with the beer-users' enormous Dagenham Smiles to my right.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That's just being kinder than they are legally obliged need to be. It's nothing to do with "obeying the rules".
It's not kind to do that. The most recent example was the last motorist in a line stopped blocking my view of lane two, then seemed to get the hump when I waited - and then a crane truck blasted through where I would have been if I'd gone when they waved me out. It would have been kinder if they'd just continued and got out of the way sooner so I could see the road and cross before or after the crane truck as I chose. :angry: I'm never 100% sure if they're trying to be kind and screwing it up, or if they hate cycling so much they're deliberately trying to entice me into a collision which I could be blamed for, but the marked priorities are rarely there for no reason.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
My pet hate are those motorists who don't want to get fined by parking on double yellow lines, so dump their tin can entirely in the middle of the pavement or cyclepath....phasers set to vapourise:evil:. I'll bet some of them moan about cyclists on the pavement, then when it comes to parking......:cursing:

Last edited:

Gert Lush

My pet hate are those motorists who don't want to get fined by parking on double yellow lines, so dump their tin can entirely in the middle of the pavement or cyclepath....

Then you'd hate this road! The only time I've ever seen no cars parked was at 6am on a Sunday.

My pet peeve is when motorists don't thank you for giving way! It isn't necessary but it bugs me more then anything when they don't. It's hardly difficult to raise your hand a little bit to acknowledge that I've been polite and thus being polite back! Both when driving and riding.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Then you'd hate this road! The only time I've ever seen no cars parked was at 6am on a Sunday.

My pet peeve is when motorists don't thank you for giving way! It isn't necessary but it bugs me more then anything when they don't. It's hardly difficult to raise your hand a little bit to acknowledge that I've been polite and thus being polite back! Both when driving and riding.

Hmm, looks like they park in a mandatory lane?. On my commute to work in Bristol, a brand new cyclepath, with a degree of segregation has become a free car park for local anglers and I came across a van belonging to the firm across the street plonked on it. Surface (herringbone pavers, bad choice, likely laid on sand, will shift over time) has already got sump oil and tyre skidmarks on it...:evil:

Top Bottom