Biggest annoyance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
There was always a set of rules about roundabouts,,, left lane, turn left or straight ahead....right lane, turn right. Simple.

Nowadays I see a lot of roundabouts in Pboro with a small right arrow on the left lane, usually attached to a straight ahead arrow.
This encourages bad driving and tears up what I thought was the general rule of thumb. Now you dont really know what to expect....especially as many drivers round here haven't heard of indicators.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
When drivers give way when they have priority. Drives me mad. Just follow the frigging rules, don't make up your own.

The particular scenario that I dislike is where they slow and wave another driver out of a side road when I'm approaching in the other direction.

:rolleyes:

Gert Lush

Hmm, looks like they park in a mandatory lane?. On my commute to work in Bristol, a brand new cyclepath, with a degree of segregation has become a free car park for local anglers and I came across a van belonging to the firm across the street plonked on it. Surface (herringbone pavers, bad choice, likely laid on sand, will shift over time) has already got sump oil and tyre skidmarks on it...:evil:

Quite possibly, you pretty much cycle in the middle of the lane there

It's a shame that people don't really care tbh.

mustang1

Guru
When drivers give way when they have priority. Drives me mad. Just follow the frigging rules, don't make up your own.

Yeah this. Absolutely. Wth is up with these drivers. Especially at mini roundabouts.

And others who pull out of a junction in front of me and then don't accelerate hard enough. Grrrrr.

Oh and cyclists who tut at me while they're waiting at lights and I go past. <sighs>.

Gert Lush

There was always a set of rules about roundabouts,,, left lane, turn left or straight ahead....right lane, turn right. Simple.

Nowadays I see a lot of roundabouts in Pboro with a small right arrow on the left lane, usually attached to a straight ahead arrow.
This encourages bad driving and tears up what I thought was the general rule of thumb. Now you dont really know what to expect....especially as many drivers round here haven't heard of indicators.

Are these roundabouts turning right onto a two lane carriageway most of the time? That's the only time I ever see ones like that.

gbb

Legendary Member
Are these roundabouts turning right onto a two lane carriageway most of the time? That's the only time I ever see ones like that.
If that were the case, no real problem in itself but one in particular by the Amazon Distribution centre encourages right turners to also use the left hand lane...it is clearly marked. The trouble is, when you get to the exit itself, its hatched on the outside exit lane, so discourages the use of both lanes....its a bit confusing.

Worse still...you see much more left lane, right turners on 'normal' roundabout, people stop distinguishing one type of r/a from another and just use the same rules now. (TBF, some always did anyway, but i see it more often now)

Gert Lush

If that were the case, no real problem in itself but one in particular by the Amazon Distribution centre encourages right turners to also use the left hand lane...it is clearly marked. The trouble is, when you get to the exit itself, its hatched on the outside exit lane, so discourages the use of both lanes....its a bit confusing.

Worse still...you see much more left lane, right turners on 'normal' roundabout, people stop distinguishing one type of r/a from another and just use the same rules now. (TBF, some always did anyway, but i see it more often now)

That is odd. The only other thing I can think of to see why they'd do that (I mean there must be some rational behind the road markers thinking) is that maybe it is a busy road and they want to try and reduce congestion by using both lanes on the R/A before going down to one lane. Not knowing the road I'm not sure but I'm just trying to think of the reason why it's stupid without just being plain stupid!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
That's the one that really gets me.:okay:
If you've narrowly avoided a head on collision with a Range Rover whose driver was too busy yacking on the phone to notice the "Give way to on-coming vehicle" sign, you might modify your opinion.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My biggest pet hate is in Winter. Riding towards cyclists who have lights that can burn retinas out, but have not thought to get someone to hold the bike and adjust the light correctly. They have no idea where the beam is shining, but they can see 5 miles down the road.

Its not rocket science.

Misusawa

My biggest pet hate is in Winter. Riding towards cyclists who have lights that can burn retinas out, but have not thought to get someone to hold the bike and adjust the light correctly. They have no idea where the beam is shining, but they can see 5 miles down the road.

Its not rocket science.

I have some lights that are like mini supernova's on my bike. Most times they are angled down slightly as the can glare, but when I approach a roundabout, especially a major one in the night I tend to angle it straight ahead so people can see i'm there.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Those helpful drivers beside me deciding to wave a right turning car across with absolutely no reference to my situation and potential to be run down if I'm not more on the ball and spatially aware than they are.

My other big gripe is not on the bike but people at work & a couple of times randomly accosting me when locking up in town to tell me about some perceived misdemeanor some other cyclist has done as if its my fault or I can find them and have a word later in the big rainbow house that they seem to think all of us cyclists live in together.

Top Bottom