BigRingVR - The new leader of the pack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Well, I got BRVR set up and working with only a medium amount of swearing which is good going for me.

Yesterday I did a test ride to a place called Modane in France. This morning, for the main event, I rode up Ventoux from Bédoin.

I'm very impressed. The software itself is a bit on the fiddly side, but once you get going it's superb. If I compare it with the Tacx videos I'd score them equal. They are both great. Yes there are differences, but basically they both provide really good quality videos, with an interesting dashboard of info. Neither exceeds the other at that main task.

Maybe BRVR's screen layout is a bit more pleasing and the recorded tcx files are smoother. Maybe the Tacx software a bit less swearing-inducing in use and set-up. But really these are minor details. They both do a fantastic job at putting pretty pictures on screen to distract me from the fact that I'm just sitting on my bike on a trainer in the kitchen.

I'll be sticking with my existing Tacx subscription because BRVR doesn't have anything to tempt me away and I don't think I want to pay for two subscriptions for essentially the same thing. But if I wasn't already subscribed to Tacx I'd have a difficult choice. I don't know how good BRVR is at doing structured workouts like FTP based intervals. Also I don't know if BRVR allows you to ride your own GPX files, which is a Tacx feature I really like.
I know you can run an imported workout, Zwift or others, over the BRVR videos, it was a newish feature when I stopped riding.

The GPX file rerun I've never done.

ianrobo

Regular
Yes you can do structured workouts fairly easy either with a base set they provide or create/export your own and put them in on top of the simulations.

For example check this one I did with some Tempo and Vo2 max

https://www.bigringvr.com/activity.aspx?rideID=119385

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just did the Stelvio on BRVR. I really I liked the fact that in this reality I passed a load of other cyclists. OK so they were moving in super slow motion, but hey, eat my virtual dust, losers.

The Achilles heel of all these things is descending. After a minute or so descending after the summit I stopped the ride. It's just silly, super high speed hairpins. RGT has simulated braking on bends and BRVR and others would do well to consider introducing something similar.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The descending has never bothered me that much I just use it as a warm down anyway and BRVR limits top speed to 64kph
I suppose it's not really important. But doing 60kmh round hairpins down the Stelvio was a bit distracting - especially after the impressive visuals for the climb up.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Just thought I'd bump this thread to say that BigRingVR are introducing their first UK ride this weekend, and it's a corker. Shout out to Alan Gunner for helping this to happen.
Woo hoo ... quit Zwift recently and started to ride on BRVR again so looking forward to the new ride. Been hoping for some time to see a UK rides :hyper:

CXRAndy

Guru
Woo hoo ... quit Zwift recently and started to ride on BRVR again so looking forward to the new ride. Been hoping for some time to see a UK rides :hyper:

Hi Carl. Ive just updated all my training apps including BRVR. How does it feel on the Neo?

Im thinking of riding a few video routes to get me back into riding

Ive dropped Trainer Road for this winter, but want something to entertain visually so will try if you can give positive feedback.

ta matey

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Hi Carl. Ive just updated all my training apps including BRVR. How does it feel on the Neo?

Im thinking of riding a few video routes to get me back into riding

Ive dropped Trainer Road for this winter, but want something to entertain visually so will try if you can give positive feedback.

ta matey
@CXRAndy It feels good on the NEO, realistic (and painful!) Visually it's nice and distracting as some amazing videos on there.

Good luck!

Top Bottom