BigRingVR - The new leader of the pack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all, below is a repeat of what I've just posted on the bkool thread

It's a while since being on here as have been using traineroad and more recently Sufferfest which is great as it gives you targeted cadence which makes it harder
I am doing two events in November and March which involve 8000m climbing in three days and 10,800m climbing in four days.

I was going to sign up to BigRingVR to do at least one mountain climb a week as part of my training but have been reading that the Bkool app has really improved since I was last on it, just over 2 years ago until I was seduced by the dark side!

BigRingVR appeals for the HD videos but Bkool appeals as it will have my old times that I can use to judge where I am fitness wise

Have any of you kind ladies and gents used both recently and got any comments?

Hi Perky

I switched from Bkool to BRVR last year and haven't looked back. I certainly don't regret it

ibooij

Über Member
We've implemented the 'riding together' (or 'against' if that's your cup of tea) in the latest version. You can now ride with/against other people in real time.
Of course, you can still combine that with riding against recorded rides of others or yourself.

We've implemented the 'riding together' (or 'against' if that's your cup of tea) in the latest version. You can now ride with/against other people in real time.
Of course, you can still combine that with riding against recorded rides of others or yourself.

Can we have little people on bikes instead of the teardrop marker on the ride profile please lol. :laugh::laugh:

Thanks @ibooij Awesome new feature

Can anyone please explain the live ride functionality? Is it like Zwift races?

Hey,

No it's not. In BigRingVR, on the ride profile section at the bottom of the screen you see the live markers of other riders, the ride screen itself just shows the ride video.

I use BigRingVR and Zwift depending on my mood. When I'm feeling social, I use Zwift.

When I want a proper training ride then I use BigRingVR. Mixing the two up has really improved my cycling performance.

Dave

Milzy

Guru
Have been using Bkool (@Bkool) for a couple of years now. Had much fun, but also alot could be said about Bkool which is nicely summed up in another thread. My main complaints have been:

- Poor customer support. You almost always get an answer saying they'll look into it and pass it over to the tech guys but NOTHING happens.
- New features and suggestions are "not welcome"
- The ENORMOUS amount of rides and routes is the main problem because it is more and more difficult finding high quality rides with great video quality, correct profile vs incline, stable camera etc etc.

Now I've tested BigRingVR. (See a selection of the routes: http://bigringvr.com/demos.aspx). Let me sum it up:
- STUNNING, and I mean STUNNING high quality 1080p 60fps (if your computer is good enough. 720p if not) videos filmed from a super smooth and stable position.
- Instead of Bkools choice of having hundred of thousands of routes, with mostly (90-95% rubbish) low quality routes or routes that are almost identical (who wants ten versions of nearly the exact same route near your home?), BigRingVR have focused on a base with ONLY super quality rides (which you also can ride only parts of), more than enough for most people. New routes added regularly.
- Profile vs incline is SPOT ON.
- Incredible customer support. You get a dedicated answer from guys really interested in what you are doing and wanting to solve issues. New updated versions coming regularly.-

Issues, yes. There are som minor issues (they are currently in a free beta).
- If you are into social riding, this is not yet in place. For me this is not a big issue, I almost always ride alone. The next version, coming very soon, is supposed to introduce ghosts for PR. That is at least to me, the most important missing feature.
- Not a dedicated leaderboard, but then not very important as rides could be uploaded to Strava and you have the leaderboards there.

All in all they really look to become my personal choice for riding software.

Give it a try (I have NO personal interest or benefiting from promoting BigRingVR).
I really liked BRVR. You’ve made me want to go on again. I love Bkool in the sim 3D view. Reminds me of playing sims on pc over the years. I don’t think I’ll keep with Bkool though. I’ve been playing with Fulgaz & some of the videos look stunning but it doesn’t really want to make me work hard. I still need to trial Rouvey but Zwift will always be king. Love how you can just mess around & have fun with it or be super serious with it. Plus I like watching the idol chat box, feels like we’re all in it together instead of just tapping away alone to a video.

I really liked BRVR. You’ve made me want to go on again. I love Bkool in the sim 3D view. Reminds me of playing sims on pc over the years. I don’t think I’ll keep with Bkool though. I’ve been playing with Fulgaz & some of the videos look stunning but it doesn’t really want to make me work hard. I still need to trial Rouvey but Zwift will always be king. Love how you can just mess around & have fun with it or be super serious with it. Plus I like watching the idol chat box, feels like we’re all in it together instead of just tapping away alone to a video.

Milzy, are you still using BRVR? Just reading through your original post; all the leader boards are there now as are the ghosts and other live riders and the library of rides are in the hundreds.

bigdosser

Hi guys looking for a bit of advice, just got a smart trainer entry level Elite Quobo managed to connect to Zwift no problems using ant+ dongle to my laptop. Tried to connect to BRVR to give it a go but when i go to the connect trainer window nothing appears in the dropdown boxes.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Kenny.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Hi guys looking for a bit of advice, just got a smart trainer entry level Elite Quobo managed to connect to Zwift no problems using ant+ dongle to my laptop. Tried to connect to BRVR to give it a go but when i go to the connect trainer window nothing appears in the dropdown boxes.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Kenny.
You may find one of us regular bods can help, not me I'm afraid, however it may be worthy putting a shout out to @ibooij who's one of the bigwigs over at BRVR or if he doesn't turn up and you don't get your answer I'd suggest dropping them a line, I've found them to be really helpful whenever I've had a query or a problem :okay:

Top Bottom