BigRingVR - The new leader of the pack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I'll be out of the league for quite a while unfortunately. I was already slipping behind considerably of course, but there is no way that I can do any rides for at least 2 months. When I will return to do rides, it'll be slow flat rides.
Reason: I managed to break my left femur in a slow crash on August 6th. I was enjoying a slow sunny ride in southern France, after having arrived there the day before. Coming to a crossroads in a village I turned left and hit a patch of road full of gravel. Front wheel slipped, I fell and immediately felt that something was very wrong. Luckily it was in the middle of a village so my screams for help where acted on immediately. A few people helped me directly, some were directing traffic around me (I was literally in the middle of the street and could not move), and somebody else called an ambulance.

After that it was 8 days in hospital with an operation, then a long day traveling home with an 2 1/2 hour ambulance ride to the airport, flight from Marseille to Schiphol and a short ambulance ride to our house. I'm happy to be home and amongst people with whom I can converse normally, instead of trying to in my limited French. Not happy to be mostly immobile though.

I'm hoping to be able to get out of bed by myself in a week or so and to be able to ride on the trainer in about 2 months.
Ouch, you're in the wars again! GWS @ibooij

Del C

Veteran
I'll be out of the league for quite a while unfortunately. I was already slipping behind considerably of course, but there is no way that I can do any rides for at least 2 months. When I will return to do rides, it'll be slow flat rides.
Reason: I managed to break my left femur in a slow crash on August 6th. I was enjoying a slow sunny ride in southern France, after having arrived there the day before. Coming to a crossroads in a village I turned left and hit a patch of road full of gravel. Front wheel slipped, I fell and immediately felt that something was very wrong. Luckily it was in the middle of a village so my screams for help where acted on immediately. A few people helped me directly, some were directing traffic around me (I was literally in the middle of the street and could not move), and somebody else called an ambulance.

After that it was 8 days in hospital with an operation, then a long day traveling home with an 2 1/2 hour ambulance ride to the airport, flight from Marseille to Schiphol and a short ambulance ride to our house. I'm happy to be home and amongst people with whom I can converse normally, instead of trying to in my limited French. Not happy to be mostly immobile though.

I'm hoping to be able to get out of bed by myself in a week or so and to be able to ride on the trainer in about 2 months.
That's bad news.

Get well soon!

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)

Ouch. Not great! Concentrate on getting well and hope to see you back on line soon.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw

Ouch. That's not a minor injury. You must have gone down heavy :ohmy:

All the best on you recovery. Take the opportunity to improve the rest of yourself.

GWS

berty bassett

Legendary Member
That’s a bad one sir , hope you heal well and quickly
I have just rejoined brvr myself and was wondering about if a league still ran - where can I find out more ?

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Keep it simple - May just do them in order ( the ones I haven’t ) and just put a few ghosts in , just to keep myself busy

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Keep it simple - May just do them in order ( the ones I haven’t ) and just put a few ghosts in , just to keep myself busy
@Aleman is allowing times even if the ride is closed Lee. It's a bit embarrassing me sitting so high in the league, so the quicker you knock me down a place or 2 the better :biggrin:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
@Aleman is allowing times even if the ride is closed Lee. It's a bit embarrassing me sitting so high in the league, so the quicker you knock me down a place or 2 the better :biggrin:
Don't say that @Whorty , you're doing the rides, there's various reasons why others aren't or can't, but don't be embarrassed that you are :okay:

ibooij

Über Member
Ouch. That's not a minor injury. You must have gone down heavy :ohmy:

All the best on you recovery. Take the opportunity to improve the rest of yourself.

GWS

Thanks everybody!

The fall itself wasn't too dramatic. I'm really surprised that I managed to break the bone this badly going down at about 25 km/hour. When I'm (mostly) recovered, I'll go for a bone density scan, even if only to rule out that low bone density was part of the cause. Besides cycling, I also do running and cross training, so I'd guess that bone density is not a factor, but you never know. Probably it had more to do with bad luck..

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Thanks everybody!

The fall itself wasn't too dramatic. I'm really surprised that I managed to break the bone this badly going down at about 25 km/hour. When I'm (mostly) recovered, I'll go for a bone density scan, even if only to rule out that low bone density was part of the cause. Besides cycling, I also do running and cross training, so I'd guess that bone density is not a factor, but you never know. Probably it had more to do with bad luck..
Good idea on the scan. Cycling is a low impact sport so the body tends not to build bone like it does for running sports.

Top Bottom