bike 0 - branch 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

02GF74

Über Member
ar%e:angry:

a jaunt in the New Forest resulted in disaaster when a thick chunky branch leapt off the ground to wedge itself in between chain and rear derailluer. Gears were still shifting but not onto the 3 or 4 smallest sprockets due to jockey wheel being too close to cassette.

hanger is bent, may be possible to straighten it out and the bolt holding the derailluer is looking bent :sad:

ofcourse it had to happen on the most expensive bike and most expensive rear derailuer with added carbon fibre goodness. :biggrin::angry::laugh::angry::biggrin::wacko:xx(xx(xx(xx(

not sure but one side of the cage did not look too clever either.

will take a closer look this evening and see what can be salvaged.

worst case a new hanger and new hollow bolt, assuming the bolt is replaceable.

arse. :wacko::evil:xx(xx(:sad::sad::sad:

GilesM

Legendary Member
Unfortunately trees and big bits of wood always win, I think arse is the correct way to sum it up.

OP
OP
02GF74

02GF74

Über Member
manage to unbend one plate of the cage and starighten out the hanger.

I was right about the hollow bolt looking weird as if it was screwed in at an angle - I thought it had bent but turned out the threads had been damaged. arse - that is # 18.

... but there is enough alloy to hold it in place, a drop of threadlock and it seem reasonably tight - next majot bash will see it go to SRAM heaven I am sure.

also had problem with chain running of the biggest cog and jamming in betweeh cog and spokes :evil: turns out the top adjuster was not adjusted -miles out - most strange, dunno why it didn't do it before, but that is sorted too.

I know the feeling well!

Bike 0 - Branch 2
14032009.jpg

mr Mag00

rising member
AR53!! yes i lost my X-0 rear to same last year. same only happens on the carbon beauty, i thinks it has a deep relationship on the molecular level between carbon in frame and tree

OP
OP
02GF74

02GF74

Über Member
my branch was bigger than yours ....

I was following a mate several year ago and tiny twig leapt up and got caught in thge driver - bent the rear hanger so we had to make adjustments to get him going again.

I suppose I have been lucky - the first mishap is many a year, mostly it is ounctures.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I had the same thing with a big sheet of plastic, which somehow got sucked up into the wheel and bent the hanger. Luckily with a titanium frame an approximate field repair was possible until I could get it to a LBS with a proper gauge.

Top Bottom