Bike accident anybody else suffer the same

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Happyhotspur

Hi all my first post so hope am in the correct place
I recently purchased a TREK DS1 bike and have been cycling around 10k rides to familiarise myself with cycling again when I had what I cann only describe as a freak accident, I had dismounted to blow my nose when remounting the first push off the bottom of my pedal caught in the soft raised concrete at the side of the road and pulled me over (I suspect had I been travelling faster it would not have happened) I had a severe pain in the back of my calf and achilles and suspected I had damaged the achilles or severely sprained my ankle.
The problem now was to get home but in order to get home I had to continue to cycle which did not seem to be a problem until I reached a step hill knowing I could not cycle up it with the damage to my ankle I went to dismount the bike, not realising I still had no stability in the damaged ankle and of course I came off my bike onto the other ankle.
Suffice to say a week later I still have considerable swelling and bruising to both ankles, my calfs feel very stiff and I can only walk by shuffling along, I dont seem to have any stability in both ankles and feel myself swaying as if the ankles will not support my weight.
I can move the ankles from side to side, back and forth and in a circular motion, but any amount of standing on them results in severe swelliing and I think what is called pitting oedema.
I am going to my local A&E tomorrow to get X-rays just to ensure there are no breaks but wondered if anybody else had suffered similiar injuries.
This is a real setback for me and has really nocked my confidence to get back on the bike again once I have healed.
Any advice would really be appreciated

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think you need to see what the doctors say!

I hope that it isn't anything serious and that you will soon be back on your bike again.

alicat

Legendary Member
Sorry to hear what happened. You need to hot foot it (whoops!) to the doctors and get them to take a look. Soft tissue damage can be just as problematical as a break.

OP
OP
Happyhotspur

Happyhotspur

I live in Spain and I need to obtain a translator for the hospital and cannot get one until tomorrow. But over here once I've been seen by a doctor and had x-rays I will be given an appointment for a physio to start immediatly rather than wait for an appointment and then start physio. I know this from previous accidents over here. Not fallen of a bike before though.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sorry to hear what happened. You need to hot foot it (whoops!) to the doctors and get them to take a look. Soft tissue damage can be just as problematical as a break.
More so if my experiences are anything to go by :sad:

Stick an ice pack (wrapped in a tea towel) on all the bruised bits, should help with swelling and pain. 15-20 mins a few times a day

Top Bottom