Bike advice please. compromise for c2w or purchase what I want ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
maltloaf

maltloaf

To be completely honest I wasn't aware there was a final or balloon payment with the c2w as the site nor any of my companies blurb suggest it so I have asked for clarification over that. Thanks everyone.

vickster

Legendary Member
Depends from scheme to scheme what, how much but the rules changed a few years back. The savings used to be better. Still better if higher vs regular tax payer

bpsmith

Veteran
To be completely honest I wasn't aware there was a final or balloon payment with the c2w as the site nor any of my companies blurb suggest it so I have asked for clarification over that. Thanks everyone.

The options you have at the end are:

1. Hand the bike back.
2. Buy the bike based on the depreciated value, which depends on the original purchase price. 25% on bike over £500 iirc.
3. Pay the tax on the 25% value which is deducted from your pay over the year.

I chose the obvious, option 3, and am paying £50 back over the year out of my pay. No great shakes at £4.17 per month.

OP
OP
maltloaf

maltloaf

I just got confirmation...

Final payment to take immediate ownership of the bike is 25% of the original order amount so £250 on a £1000 bike.

They however do an extension to the lease for 7% of the value which lasts 3 years and at the end the bike is yours, so £70 on £1000

I'm glad I asked now as I hadn't even considered that.Thanks to those that pointed it out.

They however do an extension to the lease for 7% of the value which lasts 3 years and at the end the bike is yours, so £70 on £1000
Which you want to avoid at all costs as if you terminate your employment, or are made redundant you lose the bike after all that you have paid into the scheme. I'll be making the balloon payment on my defy 1 at the end of the 12 months. After the top up fee I will have saved something in the region of £14.12 on the cost of the bike at the time of sale, had I bought it with cash.

Last edited:
Check to see if your work scheme allows you to top up the purchase price yourself, so they provide the maximum £1,000, and you fund the balance, to get the bike you really want.

Check to see if your work scheme allows you to top up the purchase price yourself, so they provide the maximum £1,000, and you fund the balance, to get the bike you really want.
Most LBS will accept the difference as a back hand payment, but as your employer technically owns the bike your taking on risk as they are not obliged to sell the bike on at the end of your 12 month rental period. A crafty employer might know your £1000 bike was really worth £3000 at time of purchase and keep it for their own nefarious purposes (unlikely, but possible!)

The real risk lies in the uncertainty that you could get axed at any time and have to hand the bike back, along with a tidy sum to cover the remainder of your rental period. Worst case scenario, you get the sack on month 1 and have 11 x ~£50 montly payments deducated from your last wage or demanded by payroll at a time when you are likely in financial crisis. Moral of the story; avoid debt, especially on a N+1!

Last edited:

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Since you're looking at £500+ bike that puts you in the 7% cost to extend the loan for 3 years (with no payments), this makes the saving 25% (just geeked out and did some excel calculations)
Therefore if you can find something in the sale for 25% or more knocked off and with interest free payments you SAVE over the C2W scheme- that's not overly hard to do to be honest and opens your options up. Also you can get 2 years interest free loans vs C2W only being 12.

I think I may just be about to buy a new bike as I've been waiting for work to do C2W and now realised I shouldn't be using it at all.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
^on the above- Pauls only offer 6 months interest free on special offers (and even then it's only some)- if you wanted 12/18/24 months I'd personally take out an interest free credit card, pay on that, and set up DD to cover costs, - and as they're offering a (dated) Cannondale supersix 105 £2000 down to £1050 I would skip the C2W completely.

Top Bottom