Bike advice please. compromise for c2w or purchase what I want ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maltloaf

Hi guys,

I currently ride an Evans own brand Pinnacle Dolomite 4 which is nice and light alu frame/carbon fork and has a mix of Shimano 105/Tiagra 10sp group. I ride anything between 50 and 150 miles a week purely for pleasure/fitness and my averages run between 17 and the low 19'sMPH for my rides. In the most part I have been delighted with my bike which I got for a bargain £540 just over a year ago.

Recently and helped by my big weight loss (almost 5 stone lost) I have been introducing more and more hills and looking to increase my distance and have a hankering to try a carbon fibre bike.

My company has just relaunched their c2w scheme but it only uses one company and there is only one CF bike under the limit and it's not a very nice one (in my opinion).

The best bikes on the scheme that I think would suit me would be as follows.

2015 Cannondale Caad8 105 22sp
http://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/p73586/cannondale-caad8-105-5--2015-road-bike
2015 Giant Defy 0 Ultegra 22sp
http://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/p73907/giant-defy-0-2015-road-bike
2015 Merida Scultura 400 105 22sp
http://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/p74476/merida-scultura-400-2015-road-bike

but they are all alu frame so it would just be a bike refresh/kit upgrade for me. Of the three, I am leaning towards the Dale.

FYI the only carbon fibre bike on the scheme is a Raleigh Criterium Elite Sora 18sp
http://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/p75623/raleigh-criterium-elite-2015-road-bike

The bike I have fancied trying since they launched their 'Ready to Ride' range is the Planet X pro carbon 105 (20sp) which I think is amazing value at £799.

I am completely torn here. What should I do ? Should I use the scheme just because I can or should I spring the £800 for what I really want (probably on the by now pay in 6 months scheme).

Any advice on any of this or from anyone who owns any of the bikes mentioned greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

malty

pclay

Veteran
I am not sure what you are asking. You want a carbon fibre frame, yet you provide links to Alu bikes. Why get another Alu road bike?

If the Planet X Pro Carbon takes your fancy, why not just get one of them? Planet X take cycle to work vouchers.

Or are you limited to cyclesolutions only?

OP
OP
maltloaf

maltloaf

My scheme only uses wheelies/cyclesolutions so I have to use them and their limited range BUT I get the obvious saving and it's monthly straight out of my salary. Those are the best three bikes I can get for my £1000.

If I go with the Planet X I have to pay out cash or take credit.

I'd rather use c2w but I would have to get alu

So my question as I said is should I use c2w just because I can and use it as a bike refresh/kit upgrade on what are undoubtedly three lovely bikes.

Or should I spring for the bike I fancy and ignore that I can use the scheme at all ?

Common sense says c2w. Heart says carbon

cheers

malty

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd go for whatever bike I wanted on interest free credit / IF credit card and not compromise to save a few quid (if that)

Does your C2W provider really only have one CF bike under £1000 :ohmy:

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Weight wise I was finding some £1k carbon fibre bikes to be heavier than their Alu counterparts as they have to put lower components on it- i.e. the sora as you mention on the Raleigh.
I would go for a top end alu with good components over low end CF with low components.

OP
OP
maltloaf

maltloaf

Weight wise I was finding some £1k carbon fibre bikes to be heavier than their Alu counterparts as they have to put lower components on it- i.e. the sora as you mention on the Raleigh.
I would go for a top end alu with good components over low end CF with low components.
Thanks for that. Is the PX PC considered low end carbon ? It's obviously a cheaper frame but I think they have hit gold with their kit level and especially price. They quote 8.1kg for that bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
It's not just about weight though - alu bikes won't be sub 8kg, I think the Defy 1 is probably still over 9 for example (not that a KG is much when you stick an average human being on top)

To the OP, go ride all the options offered by Wheelies and get to PX if you can (note they aren't open on Sunday, nor will everything be on the shop floor in the right size)

The PX bikes will only have a short warranty on the frame (check the spec), the big global manufacturers usually offer lifetime

If you do buy on C2W / credit, make sure the bike is insured fully (taking into account excess etc)

OP
OP
maltloaf

maltloaf

Yep I know it's not all about weight but CF is an itch I want to scratch, not for any reason that just because I want to to be honest but the great manufacturer/great kit/alu frame will undoubtedly be a great bike but I think it will be just my bike but a bit better/shinier, without being very different (if you know what I mean).

vickster

Legendary Member
Go to Evans cycles and ride a few CF bikes

If you want CF, go for CF. My first roadbike was cf, then I got an alu'cf one as a 'hack' now I have steel to go with the cf and also an alu/cf Singlespeed. I have to say the steel is more comfortable, and not much slower (given it wears a rack and full mudguards).

There are some excellent deals out there on more expensive 2014 models (will be the 20 speed 105 rather than 22 speed I assume)

An interest free CC will allow you to buy anywhere, or there's cash (if you have the savings, I'd just use them, not like you get any interest, probably about a fiver a year on a £1000)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
If you're spending a grand, I'd not be compromising just to get it on some scheme which will save what, 10%? Even on 40% tax, you'd not save anything like what it used to be, as the "final payment" is supposed to somewhat reflect the actual 2ndhand value, rather than being a token 50p. Then add in shop "corkage" / lack-of-discount, and where's the saving?
Then there's the hassle of a load of forms, and who owns it if you leave the company?

Buy with cash and haggle the price of your dream bike down. C2W scheme purchases often require top up fees to protect margins of the shops and your lining the pocket of the scheme providers (effectively interest payments), and the tax saving aren't that huge unless your a higher rate tax earner (I assuming you are not as you are considering getting in to debt to purchase a bike!). Don't forget you are also likely to pay a balloon payment at the end of the scheme to keep the bike as new tax rules don't allow employers to gift the bike, expect to pay 25% of a £900+ value bike at the end of the 12 months, the % paid drops with value of the bike. The key is to choose the bike you want and apply your personal circumstances to the situation as the C2W is not always a winner after you do the maths, but it's not fair to discount it from the off.

If I were you I would hust buy what you want with cash and you don't have to worry about monthly payments or compromising on choice! If you can't afford to save up for an N+1 and buy outright you shouldn't be getting in to debt to own a second bike. After all it sounds like you already own a great spec bike. Buying at the LBS with cash means you will get the fitting, follow up service and get to know your shop and they are more likely to give you freebies and free services etc in the long run.

As you can see I am on a bit an anti-debt agenda, having made and learnt from my own silly mistakes in the past, you certainly almost always get a better deal buying in cash.

Disclaimer: I used C2W to buy my Giant Defy 1 (£699 + with £69 top up fee), however I was upside down on expensive car loan at the time and needed a way to get to work cheaply so I could rid myself of the crippling debt imposed by former self's desire to drive pointless fancy cars!)

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
The bikes you cite are all very good machines, but none of them are a huge enough leap forward over your Dolomite to justify buying one as an 'upgrade'. I commute on a Dolomite 105 and apart from the harsh ride its a very good performer. If you want carbon, buy carbon. If you want something different buy a.high quality steel machine.

Top Bottom