bike advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

liambauckham

Über Member
hey gang I'm starting to cycle to work (12 miles hilly country A-B roads) at the moment i have a "downhill" MTB, which is a nice bike but really isn't designed for prolonged use. my question is, im thinking of getting a second bike i have an old frame laying around that ive been tempted to turn into a road bike, but have also been thinking it may just be cheaper to buy a second bike. what type of bike do you recommend?

any questions let me know

cheers

Maz

Guru
Hi/Welcome:

For that sort of distance, you'll be better off with a road bike or hybrid. Mine is a Specialized Sirrus Elite. Nice n light, easy ride etc. A 2nd-hand one might cost £100-150 (?) depending on condition. Have a look on ebay for what they go for.

Abitrary

If you've already got an MTB, and you're enjoying your cycling, I'd buy a roadbike.

If thats 12 miles each way, I'd definately get a road bike with drop handlebars as after a few weeks of doing that distance, you will get tired and stiff not doing it on a smoother faster bike with more handlebar positions.

Noodley

Welcome to the forum.

Like Maz I would recommend a road or hybrid bike for commuting. Check out classified adverts here or on www.anothercyclingforum.co.uk or "others" as well as ebay. I have just picked up a decent bike (Dawes Horizon Tour) for 40 quid for my wife to pootle about on and commute...

Maybe even post a "wanted" notice on one of the bike forums? There will be someone somewhere with a bike which they will be willing to part with..

RedBike

correct me if im wrong a hybrid is road bike crossed with an mtb
Yes, you'll find that some hybrids are effectively road bikes but with flat bars.

It will probably cost you more to build your frame up that it will to buy a complete bike. Definately get a road bike thats capable of taking mud-guards / pannier racks.

domtyler

Über Member
This is the time of year to be out on a lightweight road bike, no mudguards, no rack (if it doesn't fit in your jersey pockets leave it at home!), no excess weight, just get out there and go for it.

OP
OP
liambauckham

liambauckham

Über Member
another idea i had was to buy a couple of quick release wheels and put slicks on them so i could interchange them on my mtb. another thought tho back to my stripped out mtb frame is the components ill probably need to restore it is:
rear wheel
brakes
crank

all the original parts should still do the job

Top Bottom