Bike arrived (in massive box!!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
The GT Traffic 1.0 arrived today, almost fully built up, in the biggest box I have ever seen in my life!!

Can't believe it was reduced by £125 for two extremely small blemishes on the down tube. Someone got carried away at Wiggle reducing that!!

Putting the bits and pieces on it tonight, not sure whether to go with the 40c Schwalbe Roadcruisers that are fitted or the 32c Marathon Pluses I already have. Anyone know the difference?

Also, bought Ergo grips - can I easily remove the originals and save them or is it just as well cutting them off?

Also need to decide between the stock saddle or the Bioflex Ozone one I already have but haven't used. Only one way to find out I suppose!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Also, bought Ergo grips - can I easily remove the originals and save them or is it just as well cutting them off?
Use a trick that somebody showed me - poke a knitting needle under the grip to create a gap into which you can squirt some hairspray (or something similar). Twist the grip backwards and forwards to spread a layer of the liquid round the bar to act as a lube which lets you slide the grip off. It also lubes the new grip as you work that into place. When the solvent in the spray evaporates it leaves a sticky residue which holds the new grip in place.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Cool, thank you.

The bits for attaching bottle holders don't have screws - had a quick search of Wiggle and can't work out what they call them - any ideas?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Use a trick that somebody showed me - poke a knitting needle under the grip to create a gap into which you can squirt some hairspray (or something similar). Twist the grip backwards and forwards to spread a layer of the liquid round the bar to act as a lube which lets you slide the grip off. It also lubes the new grip as you work that into place. When the solvent in the spray evaporates it leaves a sticky residue which holds the new grip in place.
I use a similar trick but with WD40 to remove, you use the little tube to get the oil right in there then wash it off with Fairy liquid and rinse well.
Refitting is always done with Hairspray. :becool:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What model year is it?

I have a traffic from 2010 and it is a great, bombproof bike so I expect you will like yours too. Stick with the stock tyres. Mine came with the 35c roadcruisers and they last well, perform well and the extra size means they shrug off the urban knocks but don't appear to hinder progress at all when compared to my 23c shod road bike. I have kept replacing them with the same tyre each time they wear out (about 4-5000 miles for me).
Definitely keep the grips rather than cutting them off, GT have a habit of spec'ing functional, hard wearing items for bits like this and if you are anything like me you will try an alternative then revert to the original when the replacement fails to perform or wears out.

I am surprised your bike arrived without bottle cage bolts, I am sure they should be there. A call to Wiggle should see some winging their way to you FOC.

If the saddle on your bike is anything like the one that my Traffic came with then you will find it surprisingly comfortable. I always thought my stock saddle looked stupidly large and was too soft but it felt fine, even on longer rides. I had intended to change it as soon as I got the bike but actually waited 6-12 months before I got around to it and even then it was only because I wanted something that looked a bit sleeker, subconsciously I felt it was heavy and uncomfortable in spite of the reality!

Enjoy your new bike, if it is anything like mine it will stand up to horrible abuse and come back for more there are quite a few pics around the forum of me/my bike being stupid.....

www.cyclechat.net/threads/mytholmroyd-prepares-for-t-tour.158720/page-7#post-3162613
www.cyclechat.net/threads/trans-pennine-trail-whats-it-like.140534/#post-2677666

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
need pics man !

Top Bottom