Trans Pennine Trail - what's it like?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sabian92

Über Member
Hey,

Looking at doing the TPT at some point - wondered what it's like? I know there are steps etc on it but is it generally mostly paved or gravel, or even just mud?

Starting from Southport and heading east if that helps.Looking at a first mini tour before I commit to JOGLE in 2014/5.

robgul

Legendary Member
Frustrating would be my one word answer!

Very variable in quality of mixed surfaces, loads of barriers between Southport and Stockport, some steps and stupid off-road bits, some tortuous detours (for original funding reasons to appease local authorities!) - but a reasonable way to get from Southport to Hornsea.

Did it once, wouldn't bother again.

If you want a signed route I'd suggest that the Reivers is better

Rob

400bhp

Guru

Very variable in quality of mixed surfaces, loads of barriers between Southport and Stockport, some steps and stupid off-road bits, some tortuous detours (for original funding reasons to appease local authorities!) - but a reasonable way to get from Southport to Hornsea.

Rob

Ignore this wittering.^_^

Myself, @potsy, @skudupnorth , @Edwards80, @I like Skol have been along it . Manchester to southport a couple of times and a couple of times ended up between liverpool and southport.

The surface is generally good and the route is good on the whole. There is one lot of steps that lead up and down to a canal (which has a bike lift grooved out alongside too, or just bunny hop the steps:whistle:). The only bad bit is around Speke and the best thing here is to avoid the underpass (can't think of the road in particular but it's to the north of Speke which separates it from an industrial estate). Just cross the road where you can See Morrisons.

I haven't been much further east than sale water park.

timmcp

I have just completed it on Wednesday evening, although I did it East to West. Set off from Hornsea on Monday morning, booked a couple of B&B's and enjoyed it. I was meant to do it last week with two mates but due to the weather it was postponed and they couldnt do it this week, so I ended up doing it myself.
Signage around Hull isnt brilliant, the trail was diverted around the Humber bridge, another diversion just before Bentley due to Network Rail and the continual problems on the Liverpool Loop, but in general I found quite easy going although the climb in the Pennines was a bit more than I thought it would be.

potsy

Rambler
Mixed surfaces you say?

P1020560.jpg
Bit muddy.jpg
bit wet.jpg
P1020543.jpg
P1020547.jpg
P1020551.jpg
P1020552.jpg
P1020558.jpg

Some people go out of their way to find more steps :whistle:
P1020577.jpg

OP
OP
S

sabian92

Über Member

Rob

Is it worth avoiding then? I'm looking at doing a quick 2 day weekend jaunt from Widnes up to Southport and back again the next day but if it involves faffing about with barriers and mud and all sorts.... rather not. Considering I'm going to be doing it on 25mm tyres! I though it was paved but if it isn't then bugger that.

Ignore this wittering.^_^

Myself, @potsy, @skudupnorth , @Edwards80, @I like Skol have been along it . Manchester to southport a couple of times and a couple of times ended up between liverpool and southport.

The surface is generally good and the route is good on the whole. There is one lot of steps that lead up and down to a canal (which has a bike lift grooved out alongside too, or just bunny hop the steps:whistle:). The only bad bit is around Speke and the best thing here is to avoid the underpass (can't think of the road in particular but it's to the north of Speke which separates it from an industrial estate). Just cross the road where you can See Morrisons.

I haven't been much further east than sale water park.

Is it doable on 700x25c tyres? I've got a handbuilt wheel set on order from Spa Cycles but I am on 25mm Marathon+.

I have just completed it on Wednesday evening, although I did it East to West. Set off from Hornsea on Monday morning, booked a couple of B&B's and enjoyed it. I was meant to do it last week with two mates but due to the weather it was postponed and they couldnt do it this week, so I ended up doing it myself.
Signage around Hull isnt brilliant, the trail was diverted around the Humber bridge, another diversion just before Bentley due to Network Rail and the continual problems on the Liverpool Loop, but in general I found quite easy going although the climb in the Pennines was a bit more than I thought it would be.

I wasn't planning on going that far east just yet - was Widnes and West of that decent?

timmcp

Yes you would do it easily on 25's. It is flat as a pancake and tarmac most of the way, watch out for the tunnels on the Liverpool loop they are still closed and diversion directions are pretty poor.

OP
OP
S

sabian92

Über Member
Yes you would do it easily on 25's. It is flat as a pancake and tarmac most of the way, watch out for the tunnels on the Liverpool loop they are still closed and diversion directions are pretty poor.

Even through the mud? I am planning on doing it for my birthday which is July so hopefully it shouldn't be wet and soggy.

We all know what our summers are like though :laugh:

ohnovino

Large Member
I can't think of any muddy bits west of Widnes; I'm pretty sure it's all tarmac or dry cinder tracks.

The bit by Speke is awful, but you can dodge it by leaving the car park at Pickerings Pasture, riding along Halebank Road and rejoining the TPT where it crosses Higher Road.

OP
OP
S

sabian92

Über Member
Those pics were taken in July :thumbsup:

Christ. Might stay at home then! :biggrin:

Is it reasonably flat then or quite hilly? I'm guessing the Pennines are hilly (for obvious reasons) but around Southport and Liverpool should be flat I'm guessing?

I can't think of any muddy bits west of Widnes; I'm pretty sure it's all tarmac or dry cinder tracks.

The bit by Speke is awful, but you can dodge it by leaving the car park at Pickerings Pasture, riding along Halebank Road and rejoining the TPT where it crosses Higher Road.

Fair enough then - will have to do that. I know Pickerings Pasture so I'll avoid the signs for the route and go that way then.

OP
OP
S

sabian92

Über Member
Even I would call it flat :thumbsup:

Sounds good then, definitely easily doable in a few hours then?

Just going to potter up to Southport in a day, stay over then ride back the next. Wanted to do JOGLE next summer but the other half convinced me that doing a shorter trip might be better in case I do the JOGLE next year and hate it, and then having to ride for at least a week to get home again.

Top Bottom