Mytholmroyd prepares for t' Tour ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
A question for some locals that may know a lot better than me, we are driving down from Scotland on the Friday afternoon, we are staying in Kendal then heading over to the Buttertubs pass we have booked a car park at Mile House Farm but we are now worried about roads beig closed and us not getting to the car park. what times do you think the roads will start being closed to cars at?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A question for some locals that may know a lot better than me, we are driving down from Scotland on the Friday afternoon, we are staying in Kendal then heading over to the Buttertubs pass we have booked a car park at Mile House Farm but we are now worried about roads beig closed and us not getting to the car park. what times do you think the roads will start being closed to cars at?
Round here for stage 2 - at 06:30, as depicted in my first post in this thread! I imagine it will be similar for stage 1?

road-closure-for-tdf-jpg.48025.jpg

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
They have a fans hub in Hawes and people need to get there, its looking like it will be an early start for us on the Saturday...Kendal to Hawes will be fun

GJT

Über Member
I think you will just have to come along and check it out for yourself. I suspect that it is going to be heaving with people here. We used to get 10,000 spectators for the annual bonfire and the normal population of the town is under 5,000! I imagine that the TdF stage will bring out at least the same size crowds.

I am not sure that it will be easy to get on a train that day. I just looked on the National Rail journey planner and they are still only showing one train an hour! I would have expected them to lay on lots of extra trains. Maybe they just haven't updated the timetable?

There will be a big screen showing the whole stage in the park at Hebden Bridge, just a short walk from the station on the way into town. There is also going to be one in Mytholmroyd, close to the A646. (You can walk to Mytholmroyd along the Calder Valley Greenway from HB station if HB park is full - right as you come out of the station building. It is about a 30 minute stroll.)
Thanks Colin. I'll just have to risk the train- only coming from Burnley. I know they have laid extra buses on (only1 an hour though), so hopefully get one of those if train full.
Just had an image pop into my head- maybe the train will pull into Hebden with hundreds of people clinging to the outside Indian style :smile:
As you say, I think I'll just have to decide when I get there. Cheers

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
weather report for Holme Moss on Saturday...

upload_2014-7-4_12-50-31.png

And Sunday....

upload_2014-7-4_12-52-13.png

Obviously I would prefer it not to rain at all but I will accept a night under canvas in these conditions.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Went up Holme Moss this am. Usually I might see a couple of other cyclists. Must have been about a hundred. Some fast guys but a lot of recreational cyclists which was good to see but some were finding the climb very hard work indeed. Only one walker though.

Astana were there on a reccy and they were clearly at an easy pace for them. Funny to see the overweight middle aged guys (like me) trying to keep up with their "chatting" pace but failing.

Tough headwind all the way up from Holmfirth which will make it interesting on Sunday. Also the reason I did it from Glossop :laugh:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What do you think Nicky, am I on a fools mission expecting to pitch up a small tent on a patch of grass somewhere near the top at around 7-8pm or is it going to work?
My 2 young sons might be in trouble if we are forced to move on (which is why I think we might be ok. Who is going to make an 8 and 11yr old homeless at night with no bike lights to ride down off the hill?)

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
What do you think Nicky, am I on a fools mission expecting to pitch up a small tent on a patch of grass somewhere near the top at around 7-8pm or is it going to work?
My 2 young sons might be in trouble if we are forced to move on (which is why I think we might be ok. Who is going to make an 8 and 11yr old homeless at night with no bike likes to ride down off the hill?)

Although I hope not, I think you may encounter some problems. There were no tents, camper vans etc anywhere on Holme Moss this morning. They have even put concrete blocks across the likely places like the car park at the transmitter entrance at the top. Seems they (whoever "they" are) are trying to keep the area completely clear.

I'd go for it, but I would have an alternative location sorted in advance. I would guess when you get away from Holme Moss itself there would be some places to secrete a tent but I wouldn't want to start looking at night with the kids in tow

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Although I hope not, I think you may encounter some problems. There were no tents, camper vans etc anywhere on Holme Moss this morning. They have even put concrete blocks across the likely places like the car park at the transmitter entrance at the top. Seems they (whoever "they" are) are trying to keep the area completely clear.

I'd go for it, but I would have an alternative location sorted in advance. I would guess when you get away from Holme Moss itself there would be some places to secrete a tent but I wouldn't want to start looking at night with the kids in tow
You know what Nicky, you are dead right. I know the area quite well from my 4x4ing days. I can drop down the Holmfirth side and turn onto the track towards Yateholme Res. We can pack up on Sunday morning and be back near the top again before lunch. I don't know why I didn't think of this before, I feel better knowing I have a plan B up my sleeve :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Incidentally, I have prepared my video equipment for the event ...

Video camera on stick.jpg

I don't want to be standing at the roadside for hours trying to get a prime viewing spot, so I am going to watch events on TV until the peloton get to the climb out of Keighley, then stroll into town. By then, I will probably have a massive crowd in front of me so I have ziptied my mini-tripod to a length of timber and will use that to hold my camera up over their heads. I should be able to get a very interesting camera angle that way. After that, I will either go to the park and watch the rest of the stage on the big screen, or go home and watch the rest on TV.

So watch out for the gormless guy in Hebden Bridge waving a camera about in the air! :hello:

Top Bottom