Mytholmroyd prepares for t' Tour ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Lucky me.I have less then 10 mins walk to get a superb view.So i raise my mug to you all,i hope we all enjoy it.
2014-06-04-14.00.22-562x562.jpg
I bought this last week,a bargain.I was on my way to the dentist,when i spotted a display of 6 in a window.On my way back i stopped same shoip,gone,or had i imagined it,so in i went,no there had been six,a women came and bought all six.i was lucky she had four left,this to me was the best artwork.A bargain at £5-85p.

davefb

Guru
Penistone Hill just after Haworth?

It isn't a classified climb, but it is a steep little bugger. I rode up it a few days ago to remind myself what it is like. I'm sure the peloton will breeze up, but it will be impressive to watch them do it.

Here it is on Street view. The riders will come down the road along the top of the dam at that reservoir below and then launch straight into the climb. It isn't steep for more than a few hundred yards, but if you stand about where the SV car was, you will get a good view down the hill, and could then turn and watch the riders power their way up the shallower climb above you.
I'm camping about there ( just over the top dropping into oxenhope).. And got the same 'but where to watch' "problem". On the cat climb, in oxenhope at the sharp bend, in haworth on t'cobbles.
I suppose it's the same all along the route though :smile:

you can also see some of the 'field artwork' thats been done on penistone hill ( looking back across the valley).

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Hi all.... hoping not to hijack the thread... well...temporarily. I have parking booked from early Sunday at HB golf club... (thanks to @sackville d , as described above). However, I've since realised that where I'm staying (Pecketwell, with no off-street parking) will be a tow-away zone from midnight on the Saturday... anyone got any idea what I might do with the car? Have phoned the golf club again to see if they'll let me pay en extra day and park there for Sat as well, but no reply/no return call as yet...
Am hoping to drop it off there Sat morn, join @ColinJ for our Saturday ride...and basically leave it there till the tour has gone through.
If the golf club says not possible, however, I'm a bit stuck. Unless, of course, this wonderful forum has any bright ideas...?
Much appreciated :-)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's a pity that I gave up my visitor's parking permit. They used to be free to residents, but when the council started charging for them. I worked out that it would cost half as much over a year for my occasional visitors to pay the going rate in the car parks as it would for me to pay for the permit!

There are places where you can sometimes park free but I don't know what temporary by-laws might be brought in, or what jobsworth wardens will be enforcing them.

One of the usual free places is along the A646 towards Halifax but that is the route the riders will be taking so that will not be available.

See how you get on with the golf club. If you don't have any joy, I'll come up with a list of suggestions. :thumbsup:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
It's a pity that I gave up my visitor's parking permit. They used to be free to residents, but when the council started charging for them. I worked out that it would cost half as much over a year for my occasional visitors to pay the going rate in the car parks as it would for me to pay for the permit!

There are places where you can sometimes park free but I don't know what temporary by-laws might be brought in, or what jobsworth wardens will be enforcing them.

One of the usual free places is along the A646 towards Halifax but that is the route the riders will be taking so that will not be available.

See how you get on with the golf club. If you don't have any joy, I'll come up with a list of suggestions. :thumbsup:
Thanks Colin.... panic over. The lovely, lovely, lovely people at the golf club phoned me back and said it's fine for me to park there from the Saturday morning, so I'll nip the car along there before cycling in to Hebden Bridge itself to join you for our ride. Getting all excited now!
See you Saturday! :smile::smile::smile::smile:

Looks like I'll be in the vicinity.. but no bike. as will be flying into Manchester Friday. All last minute as everything is with me.

sackville d

Veteran
Hi all.... hoping not to hijack the thread... well...temporarily. I have parking booked from early Sunday at HB golf club... (thanks to @sackville d , as described above). However, I've since realised that where I'm staying (Pecketwell, with no off-street parking) will be a tow-away zone from midnight on the Saturday... anyone got any idea what I might do with the car? Have phoned the golf club again to see if they'll let me pay en extra day and park there for Sat as well, but no reply/no return call as yet...
Am hoping to drop it off there Sat morn, join @ColinJ for our Saturday ride...and basically leave it there till the tour has gone through.
If the golf club says not possible, however, I'm a bit stuck. Unless, of course, this wonderful forum has any bright ideas...?
Much appreciated :-)
Hi Fnaar,why not park it after the Hare and Hounds but before the golf club on Saturday and then take it to the golf club Sunday morning? Can`t see there being parking restrictions up there Saturday once you pass through Old Town.
Edit. Just seen that you are sorted for Saturday.Nice one.:smile:

I shall be watching from Perth in WA on SBS television which gives us a really good coverage even though it is in the middle of the night. As Arthur Askey used to say "you lucky people" have fun over there.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
Buttertubs pass on the Saturday then Holmes moss on the Sunday... I might be slightly drunk on the Sunday

GilesM

Legendary Member
We're staying in York for the weekend, the Saturday night should be very interesting as everything moves into the city for stage 2, and the real possibility of Cavendish in Yellow for the start on Sunday morning, shame I have some work to do between now and Friday afternoon.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Buttertubs pass on the Saturday then Holmes moss on the Sunday... I might be slightly drunk on the Sunday

I'd say Buttertubs will be a great spot, and I'm planning to be in same state on Sunday, car parked on Friday afternoon, not to be touched until Monday lunch time.

GJT

Über Member
I'm getting the train to Hebden on Sun morning and plan to just have a mooch about and try and find a decent spot. Not bothered if I'm standing at the back 10 deep, but can anyone suggest where I'm likely to get best view? Should I just find somewhere on main A646 road, or would I be better on A6033? Any suggestions appreciated

Or should I get another train and go onto Mytholmroyd?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm getting the train to Hebden on Sun morning and plan to just have a mooch about and try and find a decent spot. Not bothered if I'm standing at the back 10 deep, but can anyone suggest where I'm likely to get best view? Should I just find somewhere on main A646 road, or would I be better on A6033? Any suggestions appreciated

Or should I get another train and go onto Mytholmroyd?
I think you will just have to come along and check it out for yourself. I suspect that it is going to be heaving with people here. We used to get 10,000 spectators for the annual bonfire and the normal population of the town is under 5,000! I imagine that the TdF stage will bring out at least the same size crowds.

I am not sure that it will be easy to get on a train that day. I just looked on the National Rail journey planner and they are still only showing one train an hour! I would have expected them to lay on lots of extra trains. Maybe they just haven't updated the timetable?

There will be a big screen showing the whole stage in the park at Hebden Bridge, just a short walk from the station on the way into town. There is also going to be one in Mytholmroyd, close to the A646. (You can walk to Mytholmroyd along the Calder Valley Greenway from HB station if HB park is full - right as you come out of the station building. It is about a 30 minute stroll.)

Top Bottom