Mytholmroyd prepares for t' Tour ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Did my recce run through Rochdale and Littleborough on Sunday. It's going to be a squeeze. Lots of warning signs up Blackstone Edge threatening to tow obstructions away. Hope they get the roadworks in Littleborough and the top of Turvin Road sorted in time :smile:

Hicky

Guru
I might ride up the convieniently placed canal all the way to hebden and see what to do from there......rode up Blackstone edge then down/backup cragg the other week and seen first hand the sihts Colin has posted...its looking good.
Cannot wait!!!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Last edited:

sackville d

Veteran
Does anyone know (remembering I have no local knowledge whatsoever) if I arrive with car Friday evening (staying in Pecket Well, but no off-street parking) and staying till Stage 2 is over on the Sunday, where I might be able to plonk the car for the duration?* Planning (very excited about, in fact) ride with @ColinJ etc (anyone else who's coming) on the Saturday: thread link

*(the place in Pecket Well is empty, deceased owner = sister of a friend, so I can't ask her :smile:)
Hi fnaar,a mate of mine is a member of Hebden Bridge golf club and I seem to recall him saying they were providing parking for not too much damage.I will be seeing him tomorrow and will ask.
In the meanwhile you could phone and ask or Streetview it and you will see that its perched right on the hill side not far from Pecket Well.You get to it on Height Road which connects Pecket Well and Midgley The view from there is stunning.Whoever thought of having a game of golf up there needs his bumps feeling......SPLOOMPFT!!!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi fnaar,a mate of mine is a member of Hebden Bridge golf club and I seem to recall him saying they were providing parking for not too much damage.I will be seeing him tomorrow and will ask.
In the meanwhile you could phone and ask or Streetview it and you will see that its perched right on the hill side not far from Pecket Well.You get to it on Height Road which connects Pecket Well and Midgley The view from there is stunning.Whoever thought of having a game of golf up there needs his bumps feeling......SPLOOMPFT!!!
Ah - that would be ideal!

It isn't called Height Road at the PW end. Just head off up here. Keep going until you end up in a dip, follow the road as it comes out of the dip and climbs up to the cottages, then bends right and continues climbing. Just after you come over the top, a little road up to the golf course is here on your left.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It would appear I've hit the jackpot

Family nickyboy will be having lunch in Lower Bradfield (reservation made, parking organised) and then walking up to Bradfield. Turns out this is a major hub of activities. There is a stage with bands, a big screen to watch the action, a beer festival. So what would have been a couple of hours standing by the side of the road watching the caravan and waiting for the riders is now a couple of hours trying the commemorative beer, listening to the bands and watching the Holme Moss action on the big screen. A few minutes before they arrive, we scuttle up the hill to get a good view. Then we scuttle back down and back to the beer festival and watch the finish on the big screen

So long as it doesn't chuck it down I reckon I'm onto a winner

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
That would be great @sackville d if you wouldn't mind asking, and I'll look them up too tomorrow. Thanks @ColinJ too, will check links out tomorrow too. This might actually all come together nicely!

I might ride up the convieniently placed canal all the way to hebden and see what to do from there......rode up Blackstone edge then down/backup cragg the other week and seen first hand the sihts Colin has posted...its looking good.
Cannot wait!!!

From Brighouse to Sowerby to canal is tarmacked and fine for road tyres (23c) although watch out for tree roots making it bumpy! After Sowerby its gravelly though its such a short distance (relatively) you can just push.

Actually I'm expecting the canal to be rammed so walking may be the only option!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
From Brighouse to Sowerby to canal is tarmacked and fine for road tyres (23c) although watch out for tree roots making it bumpy! After Sowerby its gravelly though its such a short distance (relatively) you can just push.
You can get onto the Calder Valley Cycleway at Old Station Rd, Luddenden Foot - here. I tried riding along there about a month ago and it was temporarily closed. Workmen were cutting down overhanging branches, repairing fences and so on. Others were working on the section leading to the back of Mytholmroyd station. I'm sure that this is in anticipation of lots of cyclists coming in that way for the TdF stage.

You can get onto the Calder Valley Cycleway at Old Station Rd, Luddenden Foot - here. I tried riding along there about a month ago and it was temporarily closed. Workmen were cutting down overhanging branches, repairing fences and so on. Others were working on the section leading to the back of Mytholmroyd station. I'm sure that this is in anticipation of lots of cyclists coming in that way for the TdF stage.

Aye there is that too, Ive never tried it myself as I prefer the towpath but I have the leaflet for it somewhere....

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
It would appear I've hit the jackpot

Family nickyboy will be having lunch in Lower Bradfield (reservation made, parking organised) and then walking up to Bradfield. Turns out this is a major hub of activities. There is a stage with bands, a big screen to watch the action, a beer festival. So what would have been a couple of hours standing by the side of the road watching the caravan and waiting for the riders is now a couple of hours trying the commemorative beer, listening to the bands and watching the Holme Moss action on the big screen. A few minutes before they arrive, we scuttle up the hill to get a good view. Then we scuttle back down and back to the beer festival and watch the finish on the big screen

So long as it doesn't chuck it down I reckon I'm onto a winner
Aye, Bradfield brewery, no doubt you'll be having a pint or two of 'Farmers Blonde'

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Hi Sackville, I've been reet busy for a dew days,,, don't s'pose you found out any more about the golf club, did you?
I will prob ring them tomorrow morning anyway, just wondering...

Top Bottom