Bike bit purchases that mysteriously grow legs and disappear...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickAKA

Über Member
Those 'consumable' things that you buy, put somewhere safe, only to disappear never to be seen again.

So you buy some more, only for the process to repeat. Again & again & again!

For me, TYRE LEVERS. I must have lost 6 sets in the last 6 months. I've broken a few, fair enough, but half of my purchases never even get used!

Massively irritating. (I blame my wife of course)

I bought a QR spindle to use on the turbo trainer, used once with the bike to make sure it all worked ok, removed the bike and I was sure I had put the spindle back on the trainer for safe keeping,got the trainer out the other day and no spindle, looked everywhere but can not find it

OP
OP
nickAKA

nickAKA

Über Member
I bought a QR spindle to use on the turbo trainer, used once with the bike to make sure it all worked ok, removed the bike and I was sure I had put the spindle back on the trainer for safe keeping,got the trainer out the other day and no spindle, looked everywhere but can not find it

I had to buy another one of those a couple of days ago too... TFF decathlon...

Ganymede

Veteran
The trick with tyre levers is to keep them in an old sock - preferably light coloured for visibility. Hang the sock on a nail. The sock is useful as a rag - gets oilier and oilier - but as you'll have it on the ground beside you as you lever your tyres, it's easy to slip the levers back in. Even if you don't hang it up it's still more spot-able!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
For the stuff you need on the bike - e.g. tyre levers - keep in your helmet unless you already have them on the bike in s bag.

Anything I use on a ride but isn't on the bike lives in my helmet; Wahoo, lights after charging, glasses, etc. Great coping mechanism.

I’ve had bits that I’ve bought ‘grow legs’ and disappear, only to magically reappear, when I’ve just been out and bought another ( whatever it was ) usually in the tool chest, as I’ve gone to do the job.

the stupid one

Über Member
Months and months ago I lost the rubber cap from a USB-charged light - realised it wasn't there when I got back from a ride. Gave up on it there and then, until remembering I'd been fettling in the garden not long before. So I had a look around the garden but no joy. I'd never see that again.

Found it about two weeks ago, next to the desktop's USB hub.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I could lose a complete bike in my shed.

I keep all small bike bits in plastic boxes.May take a bit of rummaging around but much better chance of being found than somewhere else in the shed.

pawl

Legendary Member
If your tyre levers disappear fear not they hitch a ride with the Canada Geeseas they prefer cooler climate, particularly the plastic ones. They will mysteriously reaper in your garage or shed.The cunning little sods have also been discovered at the bottom of seat packs.

Of course this is a load of cobblers David Attenborough says so.&

MountainSide

I have three brand new SRAM quick links somewhere. Had to use the supplied shimano link pin last time I changed the chain. Fortunately the pin worked for once, as I usually break them before they go in properly. I refuse to buy more quick links because I know they are SOMEWHERE, no matter how cheap they are.

Top Bottom