Bike Brake Cables

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It’s the plastic inner housing for that curved metal bit which is called a “noodle “. You just need to slide it back in.

welcome to the forum :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You've also fitted the pads wrongly, there are a thick pair of alignment washers and a thin pair. The thin pair have been fitted to the outside of the brake arms when they should be on the inside with the pair currently fitted on the inside should be before the nut, this will mean adjusting the cable inner but will put the arms in the right place.

OP
OP
P

pikachu172

You've also fitted the pads wrongly, there are a thick pair of alignment washers and a thin pair. The thin pair have been fitted to the outside of the brake arms when they should be on the inside with the pair currently fitted on the inside should be before the nut, this will mean adjusting the cable inner but will put the arms in the right place.
I had the thin pair on the inside before but the brake pads only reached the wheels when I pressed on the bike levers all the way down. Someone suggested for me to switch the thin and thick ones because on my front wheel, the thin washers were on the inside (this was how it was when I bought my bike). Any suggestions? From what I've gathered, it's okay to switch the washers around.

Reactions: C R

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I had the thin pair on the inside before but the brake pads only reached the wheels when I pressed on the bike levers all the way down. Someone suggested for me to switch the thin and thick ones because on my front wheel, the thin washers were on the inside (this was how it was when I bought my bike). Any suggestions? From what I've gathered, it's okay to switch the washers around.
Yep, put the thin ones inside and shorten the inner cable. the rubber 'boot' should just about cover the full length of exposed inner between the arms also make sure you wind the adjuster on the handlebar lever all the way back in before clamping the cable.

Top Bottom