Bike brands in order

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Imagine taking the Parlee out for a test ride, against a range of others and then saying I prefer the Defy (picked this example just because I have one, and not knocking it either).

Would love to see ther faces!
I think they'd probably laugh inwardly at you. It is a beautiful bike but you would be terrified about scratching the paintwork let alone stacking it :ohmy: better to hang the frame on a wall and actually ride a Defy!

vickster

Legendary Member
Or... you wouldn't necessarily turn your head in the street if a Vauxhall Corsa passed you, but you'd be more inclined to look twice if a Ferrari went down your road.

I don't think most cyclists take that much notice of other bikes on the road.

Joe Public knows what a Ferrari is, they likely wouldn't appreciate a Parlee or a Mercian or a Burls Ti compared to a Giant Or a Boardman say. I think cyclists buy proper custom exotica for them. Not to show off to others. It is of course nice to get complements from other cyclists, has happened to me with the Pave and the Genesis

It may be different for a City boy MAMIL who spends £5k on an S Works which he rides a couple of times around Richmond Park on sunny days, I don't know if this stereotype still really exists though. He may also have a Ferrari in the garage

In your analogy however for me...Vauxhall Corsa = Specialized Allez
:whistle:

bpsmith

Veteran
I think they'd probably laugh inwardly at you. It is a beautiful bike but you would be terrified about scratching the paintwork let alone stacking it :ohmy: better to hang the frame on a wall and actually ride a Defy!
Probably right tbh.

Personally, if I had the money to buy one, then it would get ridden. Yes, it would make a nice piece of art on the wall but would only be there if I could afford two of them. Pointless having an awesome bike unless it gets ridden!

Was in a relatively local bike shop today. It's a new business and it only sells Look, Colnago, De Rosa and recently Argon 18 and Ritte. Its positioned perfectly for good business too. Plenty of foot flow despite being remote.

I could have easily spent £50k in there. For the record, I don't have any savings let alone £50k, but mentally I was sold. :smile:

Great group of guys and nice Espresso and Lemon Cake in the Café made my total of £3.30 spent.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I used to have a Vauxhall Corsa. Great little car. Never went wrong. Entirely fit for purpose. I may get another one when the current monster rusts to death.

Citius

Some Giant bikes are absolutely gorgeous.
But recently they have gone down the dropped seat stay look.... which isn't gorgeous.

Agreed - it's not a good look.

migrantwing

Veteran
As has been said, can't really put certain bikes in a 'best to worst' order, apart from the obvious. I've ridden cheap frames/bikes and really expensive ones, and sometimes the cheaper bikes have felt better and been more fun to ride. My missus has a B'twin bike that cost £350. It's more comfortable and fun to ride than my bike which cost four times that amount.

DSC_0026.JPG

I ride a Virk. I ride the only Virk. It may not be the 'best', but it is exclusive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom