Bike brands in order

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer

I can't believe people even acknowledge the existence of other bike brands.

Actually, tell a lie, I would settle for a Rolo or a Pretorius. Possibly an Alchemy or an Independent Fabrication. Maybe a Pegoretti at a push. Even a Moots. I'm not really that fussy.

Last edited:

united4ever

Über Member
As a fairly new cyclist I must admit I had no idea the vast range of cycle brands out there. Don't see many duplicates out there unlike cars. I am still trying to work out which ones are attached to shopslike Evans and decathlon and which are independent brands. Its great to learn about them all though and I am starting to look at bikes now. Would be great to just have a go on a top of the range bike 5k plus bike just to feel the difference. Probably would end up gutted going back to my own bike after that though but would just like to feel just how smooth, light and brilliant a bike can be.

http://www.fieldcycles.com/gallery

:wub:
FieldCycles_DavidPeck_1.jpg
FieldCycles_DavidPeck_2.jpg

My ranking would be:
Dawes - my discovery just keeps going and going, a real workhorse.
Cannondale- They always seem to do a sale in autumn and you can get them on C2W and end up with a bargain but less attractive if buying at RRP as better deals out there.
Norco - value for money brand but relatively unknown outside the MTB world. I have a threshold A2 and finally
Planet X/ribble - the ability to customise frames to suit is attractive and the frames look nice too.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Not that there's anything wrong with Condor, Genesis et al, but f I were buying British steel, I'd be inclined towards Shand.

vickster

Legendary Member
I concur. Did a recent coffee stop in a bike shop on the A4 near Newbury. It was full of Argon 18s, high end Boardman's, Orro's and even Look's. My R3 was still the best looking bike on the premises.
Coz those aren't handsome bike brands perhaps :whistle:

Coz those aren't handsome bike brands perhaps :whistle:
They are indeed handsome brands. Some of the Look's are, to say the least, a bit Marmite though, Boardman's are fine also and my neighbour who I was with was on a Gallium Pro and he reckoned mine was the best looker there, so I defer to his judgement as a much more experienced bike rider than I. TBH I like this too https://www.cyclechat.net/media/20131004_173314-640x480-jpg.6917/full?d=1427902329 and I still want to get out on it this winter, but it isn't a patch on the R3.

vickster

Legendary Member
As much as I like my Pave due to its rarity, carbon bikes simply don't do it for me aesthetically in most cases, most being further ruined by too much black paint :sad:

Doyleyburger

Veteran
As much as I like my Pave due to its rarity, carbon bikes simply don't do it for me aesthetically in most cases, most being further ruined by too much black paint :sad:
I tend to go for mostly black bikes as they are so easy to touch up should I manage to mark it in any way but I know what your saying, they can look a bit bland sometimes. On the other hand though, they can look very stealth like and sleek but that really depends on the style of the bike I suppose. I personally think unless you're racing and trying to save as much weight as possible, there's no need for carbon. I love my carbon TCR and am only now getting used to the geometry but my previous aluminium Felt was much more comfortable

Top Bottom