Bike build checklist - What's missing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercurykev

If you're building a road bike with STIs/Ergo you'll need some form of downtube/headtube gear adjuster

campy-cable-stoppers-med.jpg

If you've got carbon forks with carbon steerer, you'll need a carbon specific fork bung.

mercurykev

If you're building a road bike with STIs/Ergo you'll need some form of downtube/headtube gear adjuster

campy-cable-stoppers-med.jpg

If you've got carbon forks with carbon steerer, you'll need a carbon specific fork bung.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
- and if not you'll need the star fangled thingy. Finished it yet?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
Haven't started it yet. Waiting for Frame, forks, headset, stem, seatpost and saddle to arrive probably tomorrow or tuesday. Bung is coming with the forks. When they arrive, ill try to get it into a bikeshop to get the headset fitted and steerer cut down with a 15mm spacer as soon as poss, then will do the rest of the build over the weekend.

Thanks for the tips everyone. My only worry is the downtube tension adjusters as the frame has mounting for the cable outer, but no adjusters. I guess for the rear mech, that won't be an issue and i'll just have to be carefull ensuring i get the right tension in the front.

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
Haven't started it yet. Waiting for Frame, forks, headset, stem, seatpost and saddle to arrive probably tomorrow or tuesday. Bung is coming with the forks. When they arrive, ill try to get it into a bikeshop to get the headset fitted and steerer cut down with a 15mm spacer as soon as poss, then will do the rest of the build over the weekend.

Thanks for the tips everyone. My only worry is the downtube tension adjusters as the frame has mounting for the cable outer, but no adjusters. I guess for the rear mech, that won't be an issue and i'll just have to be carefull ensuring i get the right tension in the front.

TechMech

youngoldbloke said:

Forgive me for asking but what is a fork bung? Does it go in place of the star nut? What benefit does it have?

TechMech

youngoldbloke said:

Forgive me for asking but what is a fork bung? Does it go in place of the star nut? What benefit does it have?

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
TechMech said:

Yup. it replaces the star nut. Has the benefit of gripping carbon steerer without damaging the inside. They also provide the carbon steerer extra resistance against the compresive forces from tightening the stem.
ambrosio-steerer-bung-29943.jpg

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
TechMech said:

Yup. it replaces the star nut. Has the benefit of gripping carbon steerer without damaging the inside. They also provide the carbon steerer extra resistance against the compresive forces from tightening the stem.

TechMech

Tollers said:

Cheers Tollers :tongue: Having never owned any carbon forks (yet!) I didn't realise there was another method of attaching these...

...you learn something new everyday :sad:

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
Step 1) - Get frame
Step 2) Get LBS to fit headset, stem and trim fork steerer tube with a few spare spacers for later adjustment

4293771586_f6af69950b_b.jpg

4293775086_f6533a1de1_b.jpg

4293767284_fe77bc3783_b.jpg

4293777948_aa7e00f1b5_b.jpg

4293039763_142065fa1f_b.jpg

4293043975_a091938879_b.jpg

Step 3) Wait for the "In praise of leopard skin" thread B)

Top Bottom