Bike Build Question #2 - Treating a Steel Frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Not in the sense of taking it to a show and a meal, but in the sense of squirting noxious substances down the tubes...

The poison of choice seems to be Weigle's framesaver, although I'm not sure how necessary it is, given the dire warnings about getting it on you.

Anyone bother with internal proofing on steel frames, or use anything different?

Incidentally, the first parts have now arrived - a pair of downtube cable stops, hurrah!

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I should do, but haven't yet.

Bigtwin

I use Waxoil, which I have for the car anyway.

Warm it up if it's not a hot day (just leave in the sun for a while if it is), pour/squirt (if you have the applicator spray) down the seat tube to the BB area - job done.

Suppose you could to the head area if you have it stripped, but I don't bother.

barq

Linseed oil. Not too messy and I have it around for wheel building anyway. For the rear triangle I injected it in with a 5ml syringe. I clamped the bike in a stand, rotated it around a bit, allowed the excess to drip out... job done.

I avoided waxoyl because my bikes live indoors and I didn't want it melting and running out on the carpet. :biggrin:

Bigtwin

barq said:
I avoided waxoyl because my bikes live indoors and I didn't want it melting and running out on the carpet. :smile:

Once cured, it won't run. In fact, you can't get if off anything without a lot of effort/solvents!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Chain Lube - spray sort - swish it about until it sets.... Worked well on my steel steeds....smells lurvly when you take the seat pin or BB.........

peanut

my Massi steel frame is so rusty it would need half the oil of the Exxon Valdez running through the tubes :biggrin:
What about using a rust converter /inhibitor like the stuff used on cars ?
It stops the rusting process and turns the areas purple inhibiting further rust

Bigtwin

peanut said:
my Massi steel frame is so rusty it would need half the oil of the Exxon Valdez running through the tubes :biggrin:
What about using a rust converter /inhibitor like the stuff used on cars ?
It stops the rusting process and turns the areas purple inhibiting further rust

You mean Jenolite or similar?

Problem is that if you don't then paint over it, it stops working before long.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Thanks all. Leaning towards GT85, largely because I have ti already and isn't stupidly toxic (that Framesaver stuff looks v. hazardous).

Jonathan M

John the Monkey said:
Thanks all. Leaning towards GT85, largely because I have ti already and isn't stupidly toxic (that Framesaver stuff looks v. hazardous).

It will need re-doing annually thought, don't forget. Waxoyl et al are a one time treatment.

Ivan Ardon

Lidl rust proofing spray. It seems to convert any existing rust and coat everything with a thick oily residue once it's dried off.

99p for an aerosol can that will do around half a dozen bikes. It isn't worth getting the Waxoyl sprayer out for that price.

Top Bottom