Bike buying? Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Xenon 2017 Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Viking

I've owned Bianchi bikes (currently on Wilier) and Campag (currently on Shimano) and I would go for the second one. It isn't Celeste but the groupset, mostly 105, is much better than the very old Campag 10 speed QS on the first one. The second is 11 speed, so if you want another wheelset either Campag or Shimano spec would do. (I run a Campag 11 speed wheel with a 105 set up and it is fine). If you need any spares the Shimano stuff is less expensive - just compare 11 speed cassette prices - and easily available. I like Campag but it has got too niche over the past few yeas.

gbb

Legendary Member
Out of the two bikes - which one would you recommend?
The Intrepida looks better VFM. It's more expensive, quite a bit more but you're getting a lot more for it. As Viking states, 105 will be better than Xenon (bear in mind Xenon shifters are or were, all plastic)..I assume 105 shifters are much better made. Xenon shifters were known to snap, never happened to mine but...
£1000 or thereabouts for the VN7 is an awful lot of money for a bike that's been around a long time....I couldn't spend that much of one.

£1600 for a big brand, 105 equipped bike, carbon fibre bike seems to me to be really quite good tbf, I paid £1200 for a carbon Ribble/veloce and that was some years ago.

Don't expect to go very much faster on it if you do get it....I've upgraded bikes over the years and my averages haven't changed much....but you will thoroughly thoroughly enjoy owning a better bike (if you're like me)

winjim

Smash the cistern
Can I ask why you think carbon bikes are stupid? My Giant that I have just now is my first ever road bike and road biking is fairly new to me and that's why I'm asking . I'm also asking because I am torn between the two Bianchi bikes!
Modern carbon fibre framesets are inelegently engineered. They don't use the material to its full potential, but are designed to mimic tubesets built from steel, Al and other alloys. This is due to UCI regulations brought in when carbon was still a new and exotic material for racing bikes, although the vast majority of cyclists will of course never have any need for their bike to be UCI compliant.

I think that good design in engineering comes from understanding the function of the thing being designed, and an understanding and proper use of the properties of the materials being used to build it. Modern carbon fibre road bike designs don't follow this.

This is of course just my subjective opinion, but you've reached the point in your purchasing decision where subjective opinion really counts...

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there. I'm veering towards the Bianchi Intrepida:

https://www.criteriumcycles.co.uk/bikes/road-bikes/bianchi-intrepida-105-11sp-compact-road-bike/

The guy in the shop says that a 48cm would be suitable for me. This is the geometry of that bike:

https://www.evanscycles.com/bianchi-intrepida-105-2017-road-bike-EV288122

And this is the geometry of my Giant Defy 2 which I have in small:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/defy-2-2016

I can't make head or tail (pardon the pun!) of the diagram of the Bianchi - are the measurements of the size 48 Bianchi similar to the measurements of my small size Giant Defy 2?

Thanks

J

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you mean size wise or something else?
As above, the geometry will be different, even if one measurement is the same

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Ride the 48cm Bianchi and see, the set up could be quite different

The only problem with that is - the shop have said that they will size me correctly, then order in the bike. They don't order in the bike if it might be the wrong size. Basically, I put down a deposit, sign up for the bike on the proviso that its the correct bike (size, etc) and et voila!

vickster

Legendary Member
The only problem with that is - the shop have said that they will size me correctly, then order in the bike. They don't order in the bike if it might be the wrong size. Basically, I put down a deposit, sign up for the bike on the proviso that its the correct bike (size, etc) and et voila!
Can you get from Evans instead? They'll order in for a deposit, but it's refundable. I understand why a small shop would do this, but it's a lot of money. I wouldn't take the risk if there's an alternative

You could use Evans and then buy from the LBS when you know...not really on but depends where you want your business to go and how confident the LBS is in their sizing assumptions

gbb

Legendary Member
It's a mare innit :laugh:...You'd never think buying a bike could be so difficult :whistle:
I spent soooo long agonising, measuring, checking etc etc when I got my Ribble...

Freds Dad

Veteran
Can you get from Evans instead? They'll order in for a deposit, but it's refundable. I understand why a small shop would do this, but it's a lot of money. I wouldn't take the risk if there's an alternative

You could use Evans and then buy from the LBS when you know...not really on but depends where you want your business to go and how confident the LBS is in their sizing assumptions

Are Evans still do the trade in offer and do they do a BC discount? They also price match.

Top Bottom