Bike buying? Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Xenon 2017 Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
I'm going to go and see him and take it from there. Watch this space!

Don't forget the obligatory photos if you buy one!

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
***UPDATE***

I went to the shop in Edinburgh today and the salesperson (who is also the owner was very helpful). First of all, he measured my inside leg using a wooden measure thingy that I put between my legs and pressed down on (you all probably know what this is!) - he said I was a 49 frame. I tried a few bikes on the turbo trainer and I now have the choice between these ones:

https://www.criteriumcycles.co.uk/bikes/road-bikes/bianchi-via-nirone-7-xenon-celeste/ - this one in a 50 frame

Or I can go a step up and buy this one for a little bit more each month:

https://www.criteriumcycles.co.uk/bikes/road-bikes/bianchi-intrepida-105-11sp-compact-road-bike/ - he said this would be in a 48 frame.

I'm in a dilemma now about which one to buy. I'm not a serious cyclist but I'm not a complete novice either by any means and my Giant road bike is my first ever road bike and I love the fact that you can cycle for miles without too much effort. There is also part of me that would like to get a bit more serious and also part of me that thinks - best to go for the higher end one if its not too much more each month moneywise.

What are your thoughts on the bikes, sizing, etc?

Thanks

J

vickster

Legendary Member
If buying on credit, make sure it's fully insured for replacement value, the top one might be covered under home insurance without being separate on the policy. Bottom one I expect you'll need to specify due to value

Which bike? The one that makes you smile and your heart flutter when you test ride it. Sizing, I think you'll be able to tell during said bike tests (On road not turbo, I wouldn't buy a bike I couldn't take on the road and would buy elsewhere)

For me the one that isn't black obvs

Last edited:

RegG

Über Member
I agree with vickster - either Bianchi will make you smile, even more if it's in Celeste! If you can get one out on the road you will get a better feel for it. I have to admit that wasn't an option for me but I've no regrets with the Infinito - ear to ear grin when riding it! ^_^^_^^_^

Don't forget that one has Campag gears, the other Shimano which I assume your Giant has. Campagnolo gear change is different to Shimano and feels clunky to me.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I agree with vickster - either Bianchi will make you smile, even more if it's in Celeste! If you can get one out on the road you will get a better feel for it. I have to admit that wasn't an option for me but I've no regrets with the Infinito - ear to ear grin when riding it! ^_^^_^^_^

Don't forget that one has Campag gears, the other Shimano which I assume your Giant has. Campagnolo gear change is different to Shimano and feels clunky to me.
One person's clunk is another person's positive engagement.

Carbon bikes are stupid. Campagnolo is awesome. Get the VN7.

Milzy

Guru
If buying on credit, make sure it's fully insured for replacement value, the top one might be covered under home insurance without being separate on the policy. Bottom one I expect you'll need to specify due to value

Which bike? The one that makes you smile and your heart flutter when you test ride it. Sizing, I think you'll be able to tell during said bike tests (On road not turbo, I wouldn't buy a bike I couldn't take on the road and would buy elsewhere)

For me the one that isn't black obvs
03:17 in the morning! Crikey.
Horses for courses I'll never like that make of bike, I'd sooner ride a Viking and save money in all fairness. Mixing shimano and campy is a big no no for me too. Each to their own.

vickster

Legendary Member
03:17 in the morning! Crikey.
Horses for courses I'll never like that make of bike, I'd sooner ride a Viking and save money in all fairness. Mixing shimano and campy is a big no no for me too. Each to their own.
Yeah woke in pain, posted waiting for the pills to kick in :sad:

gbb

Legendary Member
Just remembering the effect Bianchi in celeste can have on you...
I'd walked into my LBS,buying a bike was my objective, I hadn't seen the Bianchi close up beforehand, I was going in with an open mind.
Ooooh, I like that. I gave it a good look over, mulled the idea....Hmmmm, I really like that.
LBS owner then started to show me some other stuff he had,Trek etc....at this point my wife piped up to him...
'I suspect you're wasting your time, he's going to want that one' (nodding to the Bianchi)

I reckon my fawning over it was seen and noted. She was spot on,

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
One person's clunk is another person's positive engagement.

Carbon bikes are stupid. Campagnolo is awesome. Get the VN7.

Can I ask why you think carbon bikes are stupid? My Giant that I have just now is my first ever road bike and road biking is fairly new to me and that's why I'm asking . I'm also asking because I am torn between the two Bianchi bikes!

gbb

Legendary Member
You dont get a lot of bang for your buck with those, the emphasis is upon the bikes looking pretty really.
The groupset with the low priced one is supposedly not that great. I personally wouldnt have either and would get something thats better value.
Spot on. While I love Bianchis in celeste and thoroughly enjoyed owning mine....at nearly £1000 it's a hell of a price.
Mine in 2008 IIRC, came with full carbon forks, not alu carbon, Ambrosio wheelset which while a bit heavy were faultless over thpusands of miles, and FSA Omega cranks etc, outboard BB which was a bit weak tbf, was £550. It too was Xenon equipped never faltered, no problems at all with the shifters. Clunky ?...you soon get used to it.
That's a heck of price now.....

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Spot on. While I love Bianchis in celeste and thoroughly enjoyed owning mine....at nearly £1000 it's a hell of a price.
Mine in 2008 IIRC, came with full carbon forks, not alu carbon, Ambrosio wheelset which while a bit heavy were faultless over thpusands of miles, and FSA Omega cranks etc, outboard BB which was a bit weak tbf, was £550. It too was Xenon equipped never faltered, no problems at all with the shifters. Clunky ?...you soon get used to it.
That's a heck of price now.....

Out of the two bikes - which one would you recommend?

Top Bottom