Bike Camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickg

Über Member
What do people suggest. Would like a cam for the road bike. What is best value for money?
I've not looked much into them as yet as like to go on people's reviews and recommendations. What is longest recording time on them?

MikeW-71

Veteran
The £94 GoPro is a great choice. Will record for up to 3 hours.

andyfraser

Über Member
I'm also interested in cameras that are good value for money. I'm interested in how people are mounting their cameras too. Whether it's a mount that came in the box or did something else have to be bought before the camera was usable? It's not always clear from the blurb online or reviews how the various cameras can be mounted and how much extra that may cost.

MikeW-71

Veteran
For anything using GoPro compatible mounting, the K-Edge alloy handlebar mount is rock solid, and way better than GoPros plastic bar mount (that is prone to snapping).

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I bought a Garmin Virb Elite and while it comes with a basic helmet mount, a handle bar kit is extra.
While the video quality was excellent I had no end of problems with the camera and the accompanying software - something that seems to have affected many, many others looking at reviews.
Basically the problems were such that I sent it back and got a refund. But, its whatever works for you.

jamin100

Guru
There's a £30 one at Aldi next week I think
Obviously won't be as good as the go pro etc but would be cheaper and probably good enough to find out if you'd actually use it or not

J1888

Über Member
GoPro Hero for £99.

Pros - excellent footage; couple of hours footage; typical excellent GoPro build quality.

Cons - no removable battery; no wifi; clip-mount accessories very poor quality and grossly expensive to replace.

D

Deleted member 23692

Virb £89

Pros: Excellent footage qualiry. 3hr battery life. 6-7hr record time with 64gb card, Ability to swap batteries. Time lapse. Superb Garmin build quality (which extend to mounts/accessories too). Ability tot use GoPro mounts. Ability to overlay GPS information onto video in post processing. And simple to operate via the big slide switch

Cons: no wifi, limited range of accessories (although they have most basic needs covered). It's not a GoPRo

sir adrian dangerous

Über Member
There's a £30 one at Aldi next week I think
Obviously won't be as good as the go pro etc but would be cheaper and probably good enough to find out if you'd actually use it or not
IMAG0335.jpg
cheap and cheerful

andyfraser

Über Member
I ordered the Garmin Virb but from Amazon with the helmet mount and a microSD card. I get free delivery tomorrow with Prime. Yes, I could've got it cheaper but £115 for the lot seems like a good price considering the Sunday delivery.

D

Deleted member 23692

It most likely is - I use the same updater for my eTrex 20 and Virb, so I'd assume your Touring would work too.

Best thing to do is to plug it in and see if the updater detects it OK

andyfraser

Über Member
It most likely is - I use the same updater for my eTrex 20 and Virb, so I'd assume your Touring would work too.

Best thing to do is to plug it in and see if the updater detects it OK
I've just looked at the Garmin site and it says I can use Garmin Express which is what I already use. :smile:

Top Bottom