Bike carriages rolled out on West Highland rail line

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good news!

From reading that, it's only the Oban branch - so not the branch upto Fort William or Mallaig [for ferry to Skye]?

1626687529081.png

Baldy

Über Member
Meanwhile the rest of the trains in Scotland have at best space for two bikes. If you do actually put two bikes there no one can get to the toilet, so not so good.

OP
OP
bruce1530

bruce1530

Guru
Last years press release said they were converting 5 trains for the Oban, ft William and mallaig routes. This article is about three for Oban, guessing the rest will come later

Brandane

Legendary Member
Meanwhile the rest of the trains in Scotland have at best space for two bikes. If you do actually put two bikes there no one can get to the toilet, so not so good.
The trains on the Ayrshire lines (Ayr/Largs/Ardrossan harbour) are quite good for taking bikes on. There is a dedicated section for bikes, you get 3 or 4 into it. Problem being there are fold down seats and when trains are busy I can see why people get a bit annoyed that a bike is occupying 5 seats, but that's another matter. When the bike section is full (usually with prams, luggage, or people) I just use the spaces by the doors, and have never once been asked to move by the conductor. I always stand with my bike though, in case it needs moved for access, especially on the single track sections when doors might open at stations on the "wrong" side!

I like the looks of these new facilities on the Oban line though - it would be bad manners not to use them now! :smile:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Are you listening, Greater Anglia? It's the Dunwich Dynamo this weekend, an event GA deal with by banning all bikes for the day, even folders :banghead:
That almost makes me want to do it on my Brompton and take a big cloth bag to put it in and hide the contents.

Almost, but not quite.

OP
OP
bruce1530

bruce1530

Guru

Baldy

Über Member
The new carriage does look good, let's hope they roll it out onto some of the other lines. Like Stirling/Perth to Inverness and even further north.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
The new carriage does look good, let's hope they roll it out onto some of the other lines. Like Stirling/Perth to Inverness and even further north.

Could be difficult. The carriages they have modified can only run up to 75 mph. Trains on those lines can run a lot faster, although it might be possible if the linespeed doesn't allow anything faster than that.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
But according to their website they champion cycling as a means of transport...just so long as you don't actually try to take one on a train :laugh:

On normal days they have roll on capacity for about 6 bikes. So it’s not all bad. But I wish the train announcement would tell you what bloody carriage the bike bit is. How can I stand at approx right part of platform if I don’t know which carriage I need?

Top Bottom