Bike Carrier for car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

atera strada. Good 'cos it requires the key to get it off the towball, and to undo the strap that goes round the top tube at the top of the frame, and said strap has metal core rather than just plastic, so it's fairly secure to leave bikes on. And pretty easy to get them on and off.

Although if you must go for a boot-mounted one, my mate's got a 'saris' one which I was pretty happy with. And i'm not usually happy with any old shite. They felt pretty stable on there, including when his car broke down and was winched onto the back of a lorry and carted off when it broke down with the bikes still on there ;)

Ranger

I think the best type of bike rack depends on what you use it for. In my case, my wife drops me off halfway and then spend the rest of the day driving around at various workplaces and picks me up at the same place at the end of the day.

For us the towbar types would be fairly useless as it would be forgotten about until parking in a particularly tight space. So for this type of use I find roof mounted is fantastic, less than 5 minutes to put the bike on and folds down when during the day when it isn't needed.

However, if I was driving long distances and the car was staying where it was whilst I was riding the towbar ones would be ideal

jay clock

Massive member
I have just been looking at this. The towbar option looks the best but is very very pricey...ie 375-475 for the towbar, plus the carrier

I am probably going to get a Thule 973 which looks as good as they get for a rear door carrier (Audi A3 5 door)

ajb

Transporting the bikes inside the vehicle is the best option. If they don't fit, buy something bigger.

I agree, my son races around the South West and a few nationally, I did carry the bike on the old car but it was rubbish, the bike gets very marked up, especially on motorways, absolutly filthy dirty if its wet.

I bought a Citroen Xsara Picasso, all I do now is take off the front wheel and the bike just stands up in the back.

Seems a bit extreme I know but it is the best option.

Alan.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I use a Thule towbar mounted one on my Discovery. Doesn't affect consumption, still return over 30mpg on a run down to SW France with 3 bikes on. Tilts so I can get the top tailgate open.

zarrafak

For days out I just use a basic cheap rear door/boot mounted rack. Instead of the supplied soft foam, fit foam pipe insulation (from B & Q etc - the thicker the better) on rack tubing where it contacts, or might contact, car body and cycle.
There should be no problems with obscured lights and number plates on most saloons and hatches.
Just make sure the lashings are tight (at start, at petrol stop - and every other stop).
Use a few bungees - to prevent front wheel and pedals damaging paintwork.

All this for a fraction of the cost of fitting a towbar/roof rack and expensive carrier.
- No space problems for up to 3 cyclists/bikes I find. :biggrin:

demonboylard

I bought a high-level bike rack from Halfords (I know, I know) for less than 60 quid. Figured out how to fit it, guy in LBS gave me a few corrections and away we go. Used it at 80 mph for over an hour with no issues apart from a slight thrum at a specific speed. Fairl easy to fit, seems to carry two bikes easily enough. Completely unsecure though.

Top Bottom