Bike carriers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jacktar

Regular
Hi, Chat Friends, can anyone tell me If an old Dawes star Celest bike would be too heavy for a Hatchback carrier on a ford fiesta.

byegad

Legendary Member
Over the years I've used roof rack, roof bars, Hatchback mounted and towbar mounted carriers. The latter is the best way IMHO.
Your bike will be fine on the mount you mention, but...
It mustn't obscure the number plate or the light clusters.
It will need care mounting the carrier on the car, and equal care mounting the bike on the carrier and if you intend to travel far, or fast with it, frequent checks of all straps.

I used one for many years with my bike and two kids bikes on board, but had the car fitted with a rear socket for a repeater number plate and light clusters bar, which strapped onto the rear most bike. There was no way I could not obscure the rear clusters.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Hatchback bike carriers are designed for 2 bikes usually so one bike even a heavier one would be fine. Once moutned and strapped on it is a good idea to stop and check 50 miles down road that straps are still nice and tight. Best kinds are the ones that have three points of attachment - ie top, bottom and side rather than two and don't hook the carrier straps just round the fairing/valance as they aren't designed for that

A lot of newer cars are not designed to have weight hanging off the tailgate so check what's suitable for your modelof car.

OP
OP
J

Jacktar

Regular
Thank you all for your replies, very useful information, I will try Halfords to see what they suggest, it's ok riding in my area but I would like to go further afield and explore a bit so a tailgate carrier is what I need as the bike 🚲 is a heavy old but trustworthy form of transport and I am unable to lift it up to roof hight.

OP
OP
J

Jacktar

Regular
Thank you Kempstonian, I had not thought of that, it's an interesting idea and I will certainly look into it, Must get the Measuring tape out, once again many thank's.

Top Bottom