Bike Chester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
If you fall off/get knocked off your bike, or have a heart attack/some other health emergency?

I, for example, am permanently dosed up with warfarin... it would be rather handy for paramedics attending me at the roadside to know why I was bleeding like a very bleedy thing! ***

*** I actually always wear a medical dog tag with that info PLUS next of kin details on it, but you get the point?

I am surprised they still prescribe Warfarin. I was on it initially with all the mither of fortnightly blood tests to check and adjust dosage etc then the doctor offered me Rivaroxaban (spelling?) Same dosage daily, no continuous blood tests, so much more convenient.

GuyBoden

Guru
Maybe organise it as a forum ride, it's pretty local to me, and whilst I've done some of those roads, I've not done all, and it's 12 miles each way to the start from home, so an easy ton ride.

On the 77mile longer ride route, Bellemonte Road in Frodsham, Brines Brew in Delamere, Chapel Lane in Willington are quite steep for Cheshire.

Map here:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/40243011

Especially, Bellemonte Road and Chapel Lane, which must be around 20%.

I regularly ride these steeper inclines, but very slowly, at an old bloke 4mph pace.:rolleyes:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you have a minor incident on a Sportive nobody cares a fig.
If you have a major incident what treatment do you expect? Medical backup from organisers will take an eternity to arrive, and will offer little more than a sticking plaster. Call an ambulance? In your dreams.

In reality you are on your own, just as you are on any other ride. The only difference is that others riders might give some help, but medical assistance will be notable by its absence.

In smaller events, maybe.

On the Tour de Yorkshire I saw multiple casualties being tended by paramedics. One man was unconscious with his eyes rolled back in his head. Good job help was at hand.

I assume that the main reasons for asking for the information are:
  1. The event insurers require it.
  2. They would rather not have people dying at the roadside from allergic reactions to paramedic interventions.
  3. If the worst happens, they need to pass on the bad news.
I am surprised they still prescribe Warfarin. I was on it initially with all the mither of fortnightly blood tests to check and adjust dosage etc then the doctor offered me Rivaroxaban (spelling?) Same dosage daily, no continuous blood tests, so much more convenient.

NOACs (Novel Oral Anti-Coagulants) were still very 'N' when I got put on warfarin so I opted to stay on it because doctors had many decades of experience with it rather than just a couple of years with NOACs. I could switch but I am stable on warfarin so only need a blood test every couple of months. They can do it in 15 seconds now with a fingerprick sample into a portable device and the clinic is only 10 minutes from here. I just pop in on the way to Lidl.

If I had hassle being tested, I would definitely switch over.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
......£35 entry fee is topside for any event, but all the add ons means I'm looking at close to £100 to do this ride. For what I'm going to get back - very little - I would rather go and do a planned 100 miler from home........

Heard you the first time, no need to keep repeating it in ever more detail.

Sportives can be great fun, you pay your money and takes your choices....

kapelmuur

Veteran
I ride solo, so the occasional sportive where I can ride with other cyclists is a treat.

Also having a sportive to look forward to is an incentive to keep riding when I may be tempted to give it a miss.

This year I’m doing the 75km route of the Seashell Sportive in celebration of my 75th birthday a few days earlier.

PaulSB

Legendary Member

One of the main problems with this event is that we have no idea who the organisers are.
There is a very fancy webpage inviting us to enter. Lots of good PR about how excellent the routes are and how enjoyable it will be...but there is no name of any organiser anywhere. No names, no e-mail, no phone number. Is it organised by one bloke, a group or some corporate body? No idea; all that info is hidden behind a veil of secrecy. The claim is made that various charities have been supported in the past, but no information on where this year's profit (or should that be surplus?) is going.

When you click on the entry page you are redirected to an organisation named Iconic Cycling Events. It appears they are doing the event admin. Who are these people? Are they a full on pro organisation or a husband and wife team working out of their spare bedroom? No clues are given. These are the guys who want your £3.35 Admin Fee and your £8.50 protect your entry fee fee. Basic event costs will come out of entry fees, and would it be too cynical to say they get a rake off?

Working my way through I was asked had I ridden this distance before? If yes - dates and details please.
Had I ridden any sportives before? If yes - dates and details please.
I had to click and accept 4 separate rules and regulations boxes. Page after page of rules that in effect said the organisers could do what they want and we were on our own.

It's just a clash of corporate CYA against the amateur ethos. But there is money to be made so let's rip the suckers off.

£35 entry fee is topside for any event, but all the add ons means I'm looking at close to £100 to do this ride. For what I'm going to get back - very little - I would rather go and do a planned 100 miler from home. Two cafe stops will cost me little more than a tenner. Got to be better value.

You're forever telling us how no cyclist needs to belong to a club and what a rip off clubs are. You've said all the above about Sportives before. Why bother looking at the event if it's going to cause you so much angst?

I rarely enter Sportives because I don't need to pay to ride the open road but I understand why people like to and wish them well.

Offer me an iconic event such as the Fred and I'm very happy to pay.

GuyBoden

Guru
On the 77mile longer ride route, Bellemonte Road in Frodsham, Brines Brew in Delamere, Chapel Lane in Willington are quite steep for Cheshire.

Map here:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/40243011

Especially, Bellemonte Road and Chapel Lane, which must be around 20%.

I regularly ride these steeper inclines, but very slowly, at an old bloke 4mph pace.:rolleyes:

Chapel Lane is 17.7% max and Bellemonte Road is 13.3% max, they seemed steeper when I cycled up them yesterday.........:banghead:
https://veloviewer.com/segment/760274
https://veloviewer.com/segment/754198/Frodsham+Climb

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
I think Bellemonte is the steeper of the two. It seems that way to me anyway.

I ended up doing a bit of the course today and it looked a good one. Great signage anyway. I'll look into doing it next year.

Yes, I was on a bit of it yesterday, saw signage on Hob Lane leading to Dunham Hill.

But then I saw an imaginary sign for Tarvin Sands Fisheries Cafe and the lure of the toasted bacon sandwich made me veer off 🙂

Last edited:
Yes, I was on a bit of it yesterday, saw signage on Hob Lane leading to Dunham Hill.

But then I saw an imaginary sign for Tarvin Sands Fisheries Cafe and the lure of the toasted bacon sandwich made me veer off 🙂

Ohhh. I must visit that one. Mmmmm.

GuyBoden

Guru

My route, after the steep climb up Chapel Lane, right turn at the top, then turn right for Utkinton dropping down Quarry Bank, left turn at the John Street junction towards the Rose Farm cafe for a big breakfast.:okay:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...1f402b8da4d2b67!8m2!3d53.1814598!4d-2.6780051

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
Top Bottom