Bike Choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Getting myself a new bike through C2W (Evans) and had been planning on a Spec Tricross but no 2012 models left. They suggested a Jamis Nova Sport for similar money (<£600) and I'm waiting on that coming into my local store for a try.
However, now wondering whether I should maybe just go for a road bike instead. Options through Evans for <£600 which catch my eye include Spec Allez Compact 2013, Jamis Satellite Comp 2012 or Scott Speedster S50 triple 2012.
Use will be for general recreation cycling, mainly on hard surfaces/firm paths I suspect, and perhaps some commuting if I can work up to that (15 miles each way)
The cyclo type of bike first attracted me because of the wider tyres (32) and in the case of the Jamis,the disc brakes, but I wonder how necessary they are.
Any thoughts?

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Not necessary unless you are intending to travel on dirt paths. I commute daily on solid canal towpaths, cycle paths and pot-holed roads on a road bike.

Rykard

Veteran
eyelets? for a rack and guards may be a consideration - some road bikes don't have them so you have to use P clips..

DaveyM

Über Member
I have a Tri-cross and personally think it is awesome. I can ride bridalways and dirt tracks at a reasonable ( for me) pace. When I get out on to the road it feels like I am flying compared to the mtb I have.
Got a 2012 model on sale from Edingburgh Cycles ( don't know if you have one near you) for £549.99.

I also felt that the slightly wider tyres would be better, I am told that you can fit 700x28c tyres easily if you want to make it more road bike like. Maybe in a couple of years I might want a carbon road bike with lovely aero wheels but as a total beginner I want something I am confident with and is able to do a bit of everything...coz I don't know what sort of cycling I want to do but don't want to close any doors just yet :smile:

Good luck with whatever you choose

OP
OP
M
That was my first choice but Evans no longer have any of the 2012 models and can't get any more either (annoyingly Edinburgh Bike Co-op have the very size in store but its now £750 and I can't go through them anyway).
Spent an hour on Evans' site last night finding other alternatives and then discovering that most of the 2012 models are no longer available in the size I need and most of the 2013 models don't arrive for at least another month, if not much longer - picked the wrong time of year to get a bike it seems!
My long list is now:
Jamis Nova Sport £580 (in December)
Ridgeback Advance 4.0 £700 (a hybrid with drop bars, quite unusual)(in November)
Jamis Coda Elite £720 (in December)
Jamis Allegro Elite £649 (sods law, the exact size band I need is unavailable, but the two size bands either side are!). Those are available in 10 days.
The other options are in stock or available within 10 days, but I'm less keen on them:
Trek 7.4FX £600
Cannondale Quick SL2 £620
:sad:

Top Bottom