Bike claims on household insurance -share your stories

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

I bought a new bike in June last year. 3 days later, it was stolen from stands in Eton High Street. I called my insurers (Liverpool Victoria) to make a claim and they said that I hadn't got cover. I had a quick chat with the call handler, then got put through to a claims handler.

I pointed out (very calmly, we were having a laugh at the same time) that the last policy booklet I had been sent was about 15 years ago and that one said that pedal cycles were covered. I agreed that I could / should have asked for a new booklet but I'd only had the bike a couple of days. I confirmed that we hadn't made a claim in over 10 years and that we had been with them (or Frizzells) for about 25 years and she said she'd call back.

I emailed her the claim forms anyway, including the invoice for the bike which was stolen, the replacement bike, the police crime number, photos of the place the bike was nicked. She called me back a bit later to say that the claim had been approved and that the cheque was already on its way.

She apologised that there was a £50 deductible for bikes but that she had included the cost of the helmet, gloves and a new lock that I bought with the replacement bike.

Which was nice.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
My insurance company insisted I had to get a replacement bike supplied through Wheelies. Oddly enough, they don't keep Brommies in stock, so they ordered one from Brompton.
5 months I waited for a replacement :biggrin: By which time, the old 6 speed had been discontinued, so I got the new BWR six speed instead :biggrin:
Had the insurance company given me a cheque, I could have got a replacement the following day.

Vidor06

Long term loafer
I had my mountain bike stolen from outside the gym just before Christmas. My household insurance is with Directline and I am covered for bicycles at home and taken away from the home up to a cost of £1000. On the night that it happened I reported the theft to the local police station and then tried to register a claim online with Directline the same night. By the next morning I decided to call Directline to find out what would happen next. The claim was processed there and then with a £50 excess payable. Later that day I had a call from the distribution side and they confirmed that a replacement bike would be issued from Evans and I would receive it within 14 days. Bike arrived as described and has been perfect ever since. When my insurance came up for renewal in March my premiums went up by about £3 per month which I guess I put down to making a claim for the first time.

longers

Legendary Member
M + S were good, they tried to go down the Halfords route but I got a cheque by asking for one. Very quick settlement with only a few quibbles over accessories that I lost out on. Broke even by finding a replacement at a discount.

PK99

Legendary Member
i had all 4 of the family mtbs nicked from by garage a few years ago - no quibble replacement via Evans hq insurance service.

I'm currently claiming for accident damage/write off, following a smidsy - Tehy will pay full price minus excess, then claim from the drivers' insuirance, CTC solicitor will claim excess from drivers insurance and add iti to injury claim

ASC1951

Guru
I have never insured my bicycles, which has saved me a fortune over 40 years. I never lock them. I have never had any damage or theft, let alone a claim. :biggrin:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Skinny Bint (Marin Highway One) and Fatboy (Marin Bolinas Ridge) nabbed from my shed. Insurers (Liverpool & Victoria) took a bit of coaxing to get me away from Wheelies, and only after much badgering sent a cheque.

Until then, I'd spent many happy hours wading through the Wheelies catalogue spending what didn't feel like my money. Much easier to justify a purchase this way.

In the end, the cheque sorted the locks on the shed and got my missus a new bike. I'd switched to bents, so this went a fair way towards settling the first one.

Davidc

Guru
My last bike claim on household insurance was in 1974 so probably not relevant! Hope its good if I need it though because I'm back to insuring that way now.

What I haven't worked out is how I stand with the 'New for Old' replacement on a bike bought secondhand - anyone met that problem?

Well having had 4 (i think) bikes stolen over the years, I should qualify as a bit of an expert.

I usually shop around for insurance every year to kept costs low. So I have dealt with a number of companies. All my policies had a £500 limit for bikes. Which is pretty much what the bikes i was riding at the time were worth.
No hassles at all getting replacements, all through Wheelies Direct (no choice). The only thing I found was that wheelies couldnt or wouldnt supply the bike I wanted. But always ended up happy, so no real drama.

These days im fortunate enough (saving and hard work) to own better and more expensive bikes. Im with 'More Than' at the moment and for an additional premium of £14 (i think) the bikes are covered up to £5000 in total, which is about right.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
longers said:
M + S were good, they tried to go down the Halfords route but I got a cheque by asking for one. Very quick settlement with only a few quibbles over accessories that I lost out on. Broke even by finding a replacement at a discount.
That's reassuring - my bikes are covered on my M & S home/contents insurance for no extra cost (mind you, it isn't a cheap policy).

Plax

Guru
Talking about insuring bikes. What would you put your bike was worth? What you paid for it, or the cost to replace it new? I paid £999 for my Ultra Galaxy in 2007 (when the RRP was £1199.99). Now to buy an Ultra Galaxy, RRP is £1699.99.

PK99

Legendary Member
Plax said:
Talking about insuring bikes. What would you put your bike was worth? What you paid for it, or the cost to replace it new? I paid £999 for my Ultra Galaxy in 2007 (when the RRP was £1199.99). Now to buy an Ultra Galaxy, RRP is £1699.99.

when mine were nicked it was not a case of quoting price but model. In the interim, Specialized had raised the spec from fixed front forks to suspension, the replacement bike came with suspension.

Remember, the insurance company does "trade deals" when it supplies replacements, if you want cash instead they will look not at the price you would pay, but the cost to them of replacement.

LizardEye

It was an insurance claim that got me into biking seriously about 9 years ago. A ten year old Falcon touring bike which I used occasionally was nicked from the garage. Rang the insurers (Prudential) and gave them crime number.

Next day got a call from a cycle company in Yorkshire who's name I forget but who had a contract with Pru. I'd paid about £300 for the bike when new so they said I can have one to that value. Asked me if I wanted another touring bike, but told them I fancied a MTB. They recomended a Spesh Hardrock which arrived by courier the next day. And I've been riding it ever since.

Top Bottom