Bike cleaning during the winter months

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
I know this topic has been flogged to death but I would just like to share how easy I manage to keep my bike clean through the winter months with minimal effort. The road bike has now gone into hibernation for the winter and am now enjoying a spot of mountain biking which usually takes me down some really filthy lanes. The bike is nearly always caked in mud ( and me) when I get home, and getting the hose pipe out in the dark after a ride ain't much fun after a 20 mile ride each night.
I have how ever ,found one of the those garden sprayers very effective at cleaning the bike down. I don't mean the small ones with a trigger bottle ,but I mean the slightly bigger hand held ones that hold around 1ltr and have a plunger type pump handle. Before a bike ride I fill it up and leave it by the front door ready and waiting for my return.
As some as I get home a quick blast easily shifts away all the wet mud ( adjust the nozzle to a jet) followed by a spray of gt85 /wd40. The low pressure of the bottle sprayer won't drive unwanted water into the bearings either which is a bonus. It only takes a couple of minutes to get bike clean after a ride and saves messing around at the weekend getting a weeks worth of dried engrained crud off. Its also ideal if you live in a flat and washing your bike conveniently is an issue. The secret is to wash the mud off while it's still wet. It makes it so much easier.
All the best .
johnny

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sorry to hear you have hibernated your road bike as there are some perfect awesome road riding days during the winter.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Jet wash when needed, I do not get water into the bearings any more than happens when the bike is out in the rain.
I suppose bikes can vary as to whether the bearings may ingest water from jet washing. Yours may be fine but other bikes may not fair to well.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Sorry to hear you have hibernated your road bike as there are some perfect awesome road riding days during the winter.
I think I've said before on here ,but the bike is quite sentimental to me and in pristine condition. Its worth next to nothing, but I just want to preserve it and keep it out of the harsh conditions of winter. I also don't enjoy riding in the dark on busy A roads ,so the Boardman mtb is ideal for me through the winter months bombing around the quite deserted lanes ( a bait filthy )
As soon as the lighter evenings come the Pug road bike will come out from its resting home by the kitchen radiator :-) :-)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I think I've said before on here ,but the bike is quite sentimental to me and in pristine condition. Its worth next to nothing, but I just want to preserve it and keep it out of the harsh conditions of winter. I also don't enjoy riding in the dark on busy A roads ,so the Boardman mtb is ideal for me through the winter months bombing around the quite deserted lanes ( a bait filthy )
As soon as the lighter evenings come the Pug road bike will come out from its resting home by the kitchen radiator :-) :-)
My 'nice bike' is sentimental to me also and in pristine condition. But then again I do have a very strict bike cleaning regime.

You are missing out not riding your bike on clear, dry, cold, sunny days.

screenman

Legendary Member
All my bikes are precious to me, which is why I look after them.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I'e never used a jet wash on a bike.

I have a rain butt next to my shed door. After every ride I rinse the bike over with the watering can. I ride every day I give it a good clean at the weekend. I never get rust on my bikes and I put that down to using rain water and not tap water.

screenman

Legendary Member
I'e never used a jet wash on a bike.

I have a rain butt next to my shed door. After every ride I rinse the bike over with the watering can. I ride every day I give it a good clean at the weekend. I never get rust on my bikes and I put that down to using rain water and not tap water.

I also use rainwater, I have 2500 litres under my garden for that sort of use.

Top Bottom