Bike cleaning during the winter months

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
16731220.jpg

Bikes, cars, drives, BBQs, wheelie bins and drains.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Fair enough.

I doubt Steve’s rain butt next to the shed is filtered twice though.
No it' not filtered but it works. I don't have rust on my bikes or motorbike. It appears to work.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Autumn/Winter can bring some beautiful road rides, just with different clothing and sometimes road conditions.
Cleaning regime is different, - jet wash more frequent than Aldi baby wipes, (avoiding the bearings), but I am not aware of winter damaging the bike more than summer.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I appreciate were different on views, but as said before I,d rather use my mtb during the winter months. It suits me because I can enjoy my evening rides down the quieter roads were there,s virtually no traffic and that the mtb can take the knocks of the rough ground and filthy conditions. This means I can keep the Pug road bike in good condition and enjoy in the summer on the better roads. I understand its just a piece of mass produced steel tubing on two wheels, but it's sentimental to me, and just want to look after it the best I can. As I've got two different style bikes its a good opportunity two enjoy them both for the appropriate rides I do.
Its good to hear all your different views though and always appreciate read them :-)

screenman

Legendary Member
I would not knock you for riding whatever bike you want to, I have not had a ride on at least a couple of mine this year. What I would like you to do though is understand why it is that us guys who use a jet wash can do so without damaging the bike, I even soak the hanging baskets with it during the summer without damaging the plants.

pjd57

Veteran
There's a couple of old buckets lying beside my shed.
They usually have rainwater in them. So lately I've just left a couple of cloths in them. On the way in I can just wipe off the worst of the muck , and leave the rest for some other ( unspecified ) time.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I would not knock you for riding whatever bike you want to, I have not had a ride on at least a couple of mine this year. What I would like you to do though is understand why it is that us guys who use a jet wash can do so without damaging the bike, I even soak the hanging baskets with it during the summer without damaging the plants.
Hi buddy,
I usually try to gain knowledge and understanding of things via reading the internet. I have gained a wealth of information by reading the fantastic threads posted on here posted by your good self and others, and then usually draw my own conclusions of the opposing views. As you rightly say, I may well be wrong in thinking that using a jet wash to clean a bike will cause water ingestion to bearings ,but my personal thoughts are that I think it may or at the very least be a small risk. I may be wrong, I may be right ,but either way I respect and understand your good views buddy :-)

screenman

Legendary Member
Hi buddy,
I usually try to gain knowledge and understanding of things via reading the internet. I have gained a wealth of information by reading the fantastic threads posted on here posted by your good self and others, and then usually draw my own conclusions of the opposing views. As you rightly say, I may well be wrong in thinking that using a jet wash to clean a bike will cause water ingestion to bearings ,but my personal thoughts are that I think it may or at the very least be a small risk. I may be wrong, I may be right ,but either way I respect and understand your good views buddy :-)

You do know that a jet washer is adjustable and pointable ( made up word)

The old saying, it is the tool that holds the tools that does the damage.

I think I've said before on here ,but the bike is quite sentimental to me and in pristine condition. Its worth next to nothing, but I just want to preserve it and keep it out of the harsh conditions of winter. I also don't enjoy riding in the dark on busy A roads ,so the Boardman mtb is ideal for me through the winter months bombing around the quite deserted lanes ( a bait filthy )
As soon as the lighter evenings come the Pug road bike will come out from its resting home by the kitchen radiator :-) :-)
I`m with you on this one, I use my Cube mtb for the winter rides, and the slog to work. It pains me to put my road bikes through that torture! I enjoy them in the warm summer months a hell of a lot more then:okay:

si_c

Guru
Hi buddy,
Bearings are consumables, easily cleaned and regreased, but still consumables. If they get water in, no big deal, just clean and regreased, but even using a jet wash, if you stand back a bit and don't point the nozzle at the bearings from 6", you shouldn't find it to be a problem using it, and it'll make life a lot easier.

I just use mains pressure through a nozzle, works well, gets the muck off, and takes ten seconds.

Ride whichever bike you want, don't feel bad about it, and just enjoy it.

Top Bottom