Bike computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeB18

I want to buy a bike computer so I can measure how far I ride, my current speed and total distance.

Can someone please recommend a good computer for this. I know there are a lot of cheap ones out there but I don't want to spend my money on something when I could get something better for the same price or cheaper.

Mike

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Cateye computers are pretty good, easy and reliable. Try the Velo5

The one's I've had have lasted years, except for the ones that got run over by cars...

gbb

Legendary Member
I dont know what models Tescos are doing now, but i got my SigmaSport 600computer from there about 6 years ago. Less than £10 (cant remember the price)...and its still going now, used all year round.
Speed, trip distance, ride time, max speed, total distance and clock..all the basic functions.

Very very good value.

- Baz -

I wasn't going to bother with one until I'd checked them all out, but mooching round my local Sainsbury's at the weekend, I chanced on their own brand 'Cycle Computer' - for £5.99. Worth a punt at the price, I thought. Small, but still readable. Has all the basic functions you'd want including auto start, current time, odometer, trip distance, trip time, current speed, average speed, max speed etc, and can be set to km or miles. Don't know how well it'll hold up, especially in the pouring rain, but at this price, I'm not complaining. Working well after a couple of days, anyway ;)

Mike!

Guru
Just got one (well a few weeks ago) from Tesco myself. A wired model for £6.50.

So far so good, it's been reliable - survived a big downpour and does current speed, average speed, trip distance, total distance, max speed, trip time and also has a clock.

Figured i couldn't really go wrong for the price!

Black knight

I recently got a Velo 5. My LBS is doing them for about £14.

Does max & current speed.

Has distance and odometer...though I can't work out how to reset this???

Also a clock.

Works well, only minor issue is that the magnet sometimes swivels/moves on the spoke.

- Baz -

Black knight said:
I recently got a Velo 5. My LBS is doing them for about £14.

Does max & current speed.

Has distance and odometer...though I can't work out how to reset this???

Also a clock.

Works well, only minor issue is that the magnet sometimes swivels/moves on the spoke.

Reset on the Sainsbury's one is to push 'Mode' & 'Set' together... Give it a go. Worst it can do is explode :blush:

Yeah, the magnets are a pain for swivelling. I used a sliver of rubber from a puncture patch pushed into the groove to grip the spoke.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I got one from Aldi a few weeks ago. I'm very impressed with it. It isn't wireless but has plenty of info including Kcal burnt, max and min temp on your ride together with all the usual. What I really like is the fact that whatever other function you have it set to show it also shows your current speed. You can toggle through settings as you ride and still see your speed.
Not currently on their offers list but you might find one lurking in offers aisle.

marinbearvalley

I bought one for about £1.50 delivered from China a few months ago. It is now showing about 800 miles and does everything I want from one, mph, average, max, distance, time, clock, top speed, trip and totals. Can't fault it if you can wait 3 or 4 weeks for delivery. Always displays speed as well as a 2nd function - either step through or "cycle".

- Baz -

guitarpete247 said:
...What I really like is the fact that whatever other function you have it set to show it also shows your current speed. You can toggle through settings as you ride and still see your speed...
Pah! My Sainsbury's one does that :biggrin: Doesn't have calories or temperature, though... :smile:

Agree that these cheapo ones are pretty impressive for the price of a sarny and a Coke. Be interesting to see just how long they last. Have yet to subject mine to typical Manchester weather (unlike today, but long may it continue).

Baz

Jamiejay

Hi , I just got a bike off my mate with a bikemate computer on it . i have tryed setting it up but i dont have a clue. i have no instructions. could any one possible help me ?
thanks
Jamie

dav1d

guitarpete247 said:
I got one from Aldi a few weeks ago. I'm very impressed with it. It isn't wireless but has plenty of info including Kcal burnt, max and min temp on your ride together with all the usual. What I really like is the fact that whatever other function you have it set to show it also shows your current speed. You can toggle through settings as you ride and still see your speed.
Not currently on their offers list but you might find one lurking in offers aisle.

I bought that one too, the CatEye one I wanted wasn't in stock in any of the bike shops I tried and i didn't want to wait. It seemed to be the only one, other than the Aldi one that had all the functions I wanted. It matches the colour of my bike too (the CatEye one didn't)!:biggrin:

The Aldi in Manchester Arndale had all the computers in a back room and you had to ask at the till for one, so there could still be some in stock as they weren't laid out in the shop anyway.

Top Bottom