Bike-Discount DE V's Evans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I ordered 7 items on Sunday 4 from Bike-Discount DE in Germany and 3 from Evans in the UK. Neither charged me for postage however the stuff from Germany (which i opted for as it was the best price i could find for the items) turned up today in good solid packaging. The stuff from Evans in the UK is yet to arrive.

Big :thumbsup: for the Germans from me highly recommended.
How come Bike-Discount didn't? I have always had to pay .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bike discount were actually quicker to ship a wheel building rig than getting some other bits from our usual fast shipping companies here in my opinion.

No issues using them myself

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You've never been to their massive mail order warehouse in Gatwick then :thumbsup:
To be fair, they may have a massive warehouse, which I've been to many times, but the service, either mail order or in person there, is awful and the Germans knock 'em into a cocked hat price wise.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
I always check Evans competitors for the price match that they offer. You will normally find the item cheaper at one of their rivals. If you are not desperate and have a couple of days, submit the price match application.
If the item is too big to fit through the letter box, (which is not cases) I opt for the instore free delivery and then go and collect. The best of both worlds, often cheaper elsewhere and then free delivery to the local store.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Depending on the counter service in your local Halfords shop click and collect from them can be pretty sooper as they are offring some really competitive prices these days (but the website is awful)

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I'm a fan of Bike-Discount's low prices and fast delivery but at least Evans is local enough that if a problem arises you can go to the shop and get things dealt with quickly.

I've bought a few things from BD and when I had to send back a faulty spiked winter tyre at the start of this year, it took two months for them to get the correct replacement back to me, by which time the icy conditions had gone. They initially sent me the wrong size tyre and then, because it had gone up in price by 7€ in the interim, said I had to pay the difference! A firm but polite email back to them cleared up the position and my tyre eventually arrived.

I'd still say they're worth using, just be prepared for a greater delay than with your LBS if things go wrong.

GC

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Has anyone tried asking Evans to match the price advertised on Bike-Discount DE? Could be worth a try.

I wanted some dot 5.1 quite quickly a few weeks ago and the nearest place was Halfrauds. They advertised it online at £4.79 but wanted £5.99 in store. I told them I wasn't happy about the difference, so the very young nice lady went on the other till, logged in and ordered it in my name and then rang it through as 'customer collect' Job done, got it at the cheaper price. Whilst chatting with her (in a purely platonic way) she said that their website was a price comparison with Leisurelakes and Pitsford, the two best LBS.
I usually try & use the LBS but sometimes it can't be done..

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Has anyone tried asking Evans to match the price advertised on Bike-Discount DE? Could be worth a try.

I have only ever used the approved list of rivals that Evans recognise on their price match. It would be interesting to hear if anyone has ever had any success with price match with a company that is not on their list.

Alexvs

Personally I think Evans service is extremely good. I've made the majority of my bike purchases through them either online or instore and never had an issue. When I was just getting into cycling I was ordering stuff weekly and in some instances delivery was the day after ordering where the maximum was 5 days which was the maximum I believe they quote. As it's never been outside of their listed times I've never had reason to not like the service. Also their price match is pretty good where I think all but one item went through but I think for that one I was trying my luck as wasn't the exact same or something along those lines. I even got a pair of gloves which had the same name but different image on their site price matched and turned out to be the gloves I wanted anyway so was a win win, they came down from £50 to £17 and the other site didn't even have my size in stock. Generally from time of putting the price match request in I had a code within 20 mins at all times of the day and night so think they must have a system that checks most with any odd ones going for manual check, who knows.

I've never had the chance to use Bike Discount as they've never been cheaper for any items I've needed which have been found on Evans, Wiggle, PBK or Planet-X which are now my choice sites.

fossala

Guru
I used price match with evans the other day. It was only because they had one thing I wanted cheapest and there was no point having 2 parcels being sent out if it wasn't needed.

Top Bottom