Bike fell off thule 591 (Roof of car) and thule not intrested, help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gary E

Veteran
I've got 2 of these and I couldn't be more impressed by them, no problems whatsoever.
However well built they are and however unlikely that they'd fail I'm surprised Thule weren't a bit more accommodating.
As already said, these particular bars have an excellent reputation and I've been quite happy to recommend them to my friends.
Surely it's in Thule's best interests to sort things out on the rare occasion when they go wrong? It's not like you're trying to scam them, you're just asking for like-for-like.
I'd get back onto them myself (not via Evans) and see where that goes. Good luck :thumbsup:

EDIT - Just another quick thought. Are you after a replacement carrier or are you looking for compensation for your bike?

I only ask because if it's the later I'm not surprised they denied responsibility. They probably get chancers (not talking about you here) trying their luck all the time. Admitting there was anything wrong with the carrier would leave them open to all sorts of follow-up claims.

If you got in touch with them and confirmed that you were not looking for any compensation and would view a replacement carrier as the end of the issue maybe they'd be more willing to deal?

Gary E

Veteran
How can it slip? Impossible if clamped properly?

sorry, but this is user error.
Not necessarily.
I agree that these are great bars and extremely unlikely to go wrong however it's not impossible that the ratchet mechanism has a defect that allows the vibrations felt when in use to unlock the pawls.
I'd like to think that Thule disassembled the mechanism or subjected it to a realistic test but it's possible that they just wound it up tight and tried to pull the jaws apart.
Like I said, get in touch with them yourself and see where that takes you.

400bhp

Guru
Not necessarily.
I agree that these are great bars and extremely unlikely to go wrong however it's not impossible that the ratchet mechanism has a defect that allows the vibrations felt when in use to unlock the pawls.
I'd like to think that Thule disassembled the mechanism or subjected it to a realistic test but it's possible that they just wound it up tight and tried to pull the jaws apart.
Like I said, get in touch with them yourself and see where that takes you.

Yes, you're right. As I typed it I realised I was using too strong a wording, but couldn't be arsed to change. There's always a chance something is faulty, however small that might be.

I'd say that I would try them out - but that's a bit of a big risk to take. :ohmy:

Gary E

Veteran
I have no intention of claiming any compensation, really would like a replacement as I have lost confidence in it. Going to speak to them tomorrow.
Good luck.
As I said, with Evans approaching them on your behalf they might have thought you were after a new bike from the deal (I'm sure it's been tried).
Ask them specifically to inspect the locking mechanism for defects and tell them you have 2 other identical carriers that have no issues.
You can't assume, however friendly they appeared, that Evans did as good a job of explaining the circumstances as you could.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Do you lock the carrier each time?

I have 2 of these and have done ton up trips across the country with 2 bikes on without any issues. Only near problem was on one bike I put the clamp too high up and it got loose when it settled at the proper lower point. I always wiggle the bike and try to move the clamp lower now.

classic33

Leg End Member
Sale of Goods Act, contract is with Evans not Thule surely?
Agree on that point. Buyers contract is with the place he bought it. Their contract is with the people that supplied it to them, this may not be the manufacturer.l
Why are Evans passing him on, doing their work for them. Sales of good act state clearly that it has to be fit for purpose. From what has been said it is not fit for purpose. His claim is with the place that sold it, nowhere else. Unless Evans are going to compensate him for doing their work.

Trickedem

Guru
My only experience of Thule carriers is the ones used for the Dartford crossing. I am sure that regular users such as RB58 and Ianrauk will be able to confirm that the ratchet mechanisms for holding wheels in place don't work for very long. They have been replaced numerous times and are now using rubber bungees instead. If this is the same thing holding your bike I certainly wouldn't trust them.

Drago

Legendary Member
Two different bikes slipped, so it's not the bikes.
By what process of logic does one come to that conclusion? Neither my Trance X or my old Lappiere would securely fit the Mont Blanc Baraccuda on my old car due to the weird profile of the down tubes.

Two different bikes where it most certainly was the bike.

Gary E

Veteran
By what process of logic does one come to that conclusion? Neither my Trance X or my old Lappiere would securely fit the Mont Blanc Baraccuda on my old car due to the weird profile of the down tubes.

Two different bikes where it most certainly was the bike.
Agreed, both my Giants have a down tube that narrows towards the bottom so I have to be careful to secure it low down where the tube thickness evens out. If I clamp it in too high and it slips down the tube it becomes a lot looser. I'm assuming (hoping) the OP has accounted for this though?

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Don't waste your time with it, it was probably user error. If you have lost confidence with the product, bung it on the Bay of E and sell it, wipe your mouth and walk away, then go and buy a new carrier.

It's happened to me twice as well, with a very similar Thule rack, both times it was my own stupid bloody fault. The second time did five hundred queens worth of damage to the car. I was thoroughly and most abjectly pee'd off.

I have ancient and cheap roof-mounted Thule carriers for three bicycles and in over a decade have not had a single issue with them - other than driving under the height-restriction bar on a MacDonalds Drive-Thru. (That was user error - as in choosing to go to Macs).

I also have a Thule roofbox.

Their stuff is absolutely top notch as far as I can see.

All my Thule stuff is ober 10 years old and still works and looks as new.

A modicum of care is needed and (with the olde-worlde bike racks) some strength in the wrists and fingers.

I'm sorry for your bad experience with their product, but this is the first bad word I've ever heard about them in a long, long time. I bought on recommendation and recommend them to others.

Maybe put it down to experience and carry the bikes in the boot....

Top Bottom