Bike fell off thule 591 (Roof of car) and thule not intrested, help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickb

Guru
Unless it's faulty, in which case I'm sure Thule would have replaced it, this has to be 'user error'. I have 3 Thule bike carriers and all of them are bullet-proof. The only issue I've ever had with any Thule product was a roof box popping-open at speed and that was 'cos I'd overstuffed it and trapped some fabric in one of the lock mechanisms.

Paul_L

Über Member
I have two of these and have carried road, hybrid and kids bikes without any problems.

Just out of interest when you tighten the clamp on the down tube do you also lock it? I'm not sure if that's what the instructions say but i always lock them.

Big boy

how about putting a pic of how you secure the bike, then maybe someone can tell if you doing it wrong.
I cant really comment as ive never carried a bike on a rack.
A picture paints a thousand words an all that.

Drago

Legendary Member
Isn't this thread title a bit misleading? Seems Thule could have told the seller to foxtrot oscar, yet they still went to the effort of examining the product rather than simply dismissing the matter out of hand.

400bhp

Guru
Isn't this thread title a bit misleading? Seems Thule could have told the seller to foxtrot oscar, yet they still went to the effort of examining the product rather than simply dismissing the matter out of hand.

Good point.

tahir

Regular
i reckon user error

next time chipmonster take extra care and try avoid using them free sample contact lenses ------> i reckon they might have affected your vision whilst ratcheting the clamp!:ph34r:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'll just add my experience to the 'debate' FWIW!
I have 4 x 591 racks which have been used with at least 7 different bikes ranging from a tiny kids bike with stabilisers through various sizes of kids bikes upto assorted fullsize adult bikes (MTB's/hybrids/roadbikes). Some of these have, due to size, been clamped in a less than optimal fashion both to the frame and at the wheel. Despite this they have travelled fair distances at enthusiastic speeds on motorways and twisty A roads without ever giving a hint of coming detached. Clamps have ALWAYS been as tight when unloading as when loading in the first place.
My gut feeling is user error. My only caveat to that is that Evans have not actually bothered to send the rack to Thule because in the slim chance that the clamp was really faulty I don't for a moment believe that a reputable company like Thule would allow the product back out into the real world!

Top Bottom