Bike Fit Confusion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrB71

Hello Everyone!

New member to the forum after some experienced advice if you'd be so kind.

I've had 2 bike fits in the last year which have both put my saddle height between the 695mm and 700mm mark (bb centre to top of saddle).

My inseam is 800mm so going by online calculations this seems ballpark correct.

I have however been reading lately about the heel to pedal method.

If I do this at my bike fit height my heel is at least an inch above the pedal even with my leg locked out.

This as sort of put doubts into my mind as to whether I am actually in the optimum position.

Has anyone else experience of this situation?

Many thanks in advance

Wayne

vickster

Legendary Member
Do whatever is comfortable for you, there is no one size fits all method

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would be surprised to see your foot an inch above the pedal. When you ride at the moment are your hips rocking from side to side? Do you experience any pain?

OP
OP
M

MrB71

I would be surprised to see your foot an inch above the pedal. When you ride at the moment are your hips rocking from side to side? Do you experience any pain?

Thanks for the reply.

No I have no rocking or pain but I'm just surprised how far away my heel is.

I've seen many posts saying lemond method puts people too low but In my case it seems to be too high compared to the heel method.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I don't see how you could have your heel an inch above the pedal without severe rocking. When you are doing this, where is your other foot, I assume on the other pedal as normal and not touching the ground? Any chance of getting someone to video you both side on and behind whilst on a turbo trainer?

Kajjal

Guru
The problem with bike fits is peoples proportions, flexibility and needs vary so there is no one size fits all approach.

For the saddle position what you are looking for is when the pedal / crank arm is pointed downwards in line with the seat tube you should be able to lift yourself off the saddle a little upwards in line with the seat post. If you can't this means for the majority of people the saddle is too high. This is why people suggest there should be a slight bend in the leg.

Signs your saddle is too high are rocking when seated and pedalling, feet pointing downwards as you over stretch to each the pedals and general aches and pains from over reaching to the pedals. If in doubt being a little low has little or no impact, being a little to high generally causes all kinds of problems.

Good luck and take your time !!!

OP
OP
M

MrB71

The problem with bike fits is peoples proportions, flexibility and needs vary so there is no one size fits all approach.

For the saddle position what you are looking for is when the pedal / crank arm is pointed downwards in line with the seat tube you should be able to lift yourself off the saddle a little upwards in line with the seat post. If you can't this means for the majority of people the saddle is too high. This is why people suggest there should be a slight bend in the leg.

Signs your saddle is too high are rocking when seated and pedalling, feet pointing downwards as you over stretch to each the pedals and general aches and pains from over reaching to the pedals. If in doubt being a little low has little or no impact, being a little to high generally causes all kinds of problems.

Good luck and take your time !!!

Thanks for the detailed response.

My feet definitely point down on pedalling but I don't feel any great stress.

I think I'm going to follow your suggestion and lower the saddle and trial it for a while.

Thanks once again for everyone's advice

OP
OP
M

MrB71

Also when doing heel to pedal is it with shoes on

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MrB71

Heal to the pedal would also give me a higher saddle but fits have also said lower. The lower height is more comfortable for me and I'm advised you get less injury as too high can strain things a bit and that seems right IME.

Thanks for the reply,

My situation seems opposite to yours.... The fitters say higher than heel to pedal

Top Bottom