Bike Fit - sit bones getting really warm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Unlimited Miles

When I stand up and touch my saddle, it's super warm and after a 30 minute + ride, my bib shorts get circular sweat marks around the sit bones. Very strange.

I'm not experiencing any saddle sores, it just gets really warm and hurts after 30 minutes or so in the saddle - no permanent marks or injuries.

Has anyone experienced this before? I've been professionally fitted several times, tried different saddles and bikes but the problem doesn't seem to go away.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
It has been unseasonably warm. Sit bones leave two elliptical shaped indents, each roughly the size of a broomstick. Mine are about 10 cm apart. Assuming I’m/you’re fairly average I don’t think it is strange at all.

If there are no marks or injuries, are you really hurting? Or is the ‘heat’ or circulation issue just uncomfortable and you need to shift and stand more often? Wrong saddle? Rucked up chamois?

Or perhaps instead of installing a saddle, you have fitted a steam iron by mistake.

Last edited:
U

User6179

Gel saddle ?
I tried one once, I don't know if it was the Gel or the covering or combination of both on the saddle but my butt was slipping about the saddle with sweat.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Stop worrying and keep riding. Soon you will finish a ride and realise your bum doesn't hurt any more.

You will also sweat less as you gain fitness. You're not starting out over-dressed are you? Two layers should suffice down to about 5c.

OnTheRopes

Regular
I'm assuming you are fairly new to cycling. I can't speak of hotspots but it is quite normal to get discomfort on the sit bones when you start or re-start cycling after a break. How often do you ride? If you ride regularly as in 3 or 4 times a week then you will find the discomfort will lessen over time and after a few days or a couple of weeks or so you will forget it was ever an issue, unless you ride much further than normal.
In the meantime try applying some anti friction gel (chamois Cream) Assoss version is good and has a cooling effect https://www.wiggle.co.uk/assos-chamois-cream-140ml/

Top Bottom