Bike fit thoughts? - Trek Emonda SL5 2021 (size 52 v 54)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tapper3279

Regular
Hi folks, I'm really hoping someone can help me here please and maybe this can be useful to someone else :smile:

I've finally decided to upgrade after a year of taking cycling more seriously (n+1 and all that). And I've been looking at the Trek Emonda SL5 2021 and been struggling with getting the right size, as it turns out I have really short legs compared to my upper body! :smile:

My dimensions:
  • Height: 175 cm (5 ft 9 inches)
  • Inseam (without shoes): 78 cm (30.7 inches).

My current bike dimensions: Triban RC500
  • Stack: 56.9 cm
  • Reach: 37.9 cm
  • Saddle Rail Height: 63.0 cm
  • Saddle Height: 68.0 cm
  • Handlebar width: 42.0 cm

1625208929319.png

1625208964415.png

Treks table shows my height falls under a 56 size, but my inseam suggests a 52 size, so their calculator proposed the 54 size.

I tried 54 and it felt comfortable on the upper body but my legs don't seem to be long enough to reach the pedals comfortably unfortunately, so in the last few days I tried a 52 size which you can see in the video and pics below.
1.jpg

I would appreciate any comments on the fit of this bike based on the pictures and videos please!

When sitting on the 52, I do feel like it is a bit small however this is coming from me using my Triban RC500 Medium (first road bike) for more than a year which has a very relaxed geometry so I'm not sure if what I'm feeling is "cramped" or more racey geometry on the Emonda! When I compare my pictures to what I see online (GCN videos & bike fit videos etc), me on the 52 looks quite similar so maybe its ok? I really want to see what others think please as I want to see if the 52 would work for me?

Last thing is the 52 has a 90mm stem and the person at the shop did suggest I could increase to maybe a 110mm stem without impacting the handling.

Any comments would be appreciated! Thanks very much!

Bike looks small. You are sitting more vertical rather than horizontal and your chin is already over the head tube. The stem extension is not the answer. The rider below has a more horizontal posture and notice where his chin is. I would go for the 54 due to longer top tube and lower the seat post.
1625210121205.png

figbat

Slippery scientist
You said the 54 had pedal reach issues - surely not with the saddle slammed to the frame? Obviously you wouldn’t want that anyway but I’d guess there would be enough seat post adjustment to get the leg length where you want it? Once that’s set then deal with reach, remembering you can adjust the saddle fore and aft as well as the height of the stem (assuming there are some spacers under it) and even a different stem if needs be. I wonder if the 52 uses shorter crank arms than the 54?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
sort of need a pic on the 54, but given you have a long body, you can cope / need with the extra top tube length, so my normal advice would be to size down if in bewteeen, but on this occasion i'd say size upto the 54.

when you say your legs didnt seem long enough - as long as you can get the seat low enough (it has a sloping top tube) to suit your leg length then it will be fine. you just will have less seat post showing than a long legged short body person would

All uphill

Still rolling along
You said the 54 had pedal reach issues - surely not with the saddle slammed to the frame? Obviously you wouldn’t want that anyway but I’d guess there would be enough seat post adjustment to get the leg length where you want it? Once that’s set then deal with reach, remembering you can adjust the saddle fore and aft as well as the height of the stem (assuming there are some spacers under it) and even a different stem if needs be. I wonder if the 52 uses shorter crank arms than the 54?
My first thought too, is that you may need shorter cranks than standard.

170mm or even 165mm may help you with your relatively short legs.

OP
OP
T

Tapper3279

Regular
Bike looks small. You are sitting more vertical rather than horizontal and your chin is already over the head tube. The stem extension is not the answer. The rider below has a more horizontal posture and notice where his chin is. I would go for the 54 due to longer top tube and lower the seat post.
View attachment 596917

Thanks. Yeah it does feel a little small.

I probably wasn't that clear in the first post, but when I tried the 54, the seat mast was at its lowest position and even at that point I wasn't able to comfortably get my heel on the pedal. The seat mast was the small 135mm one which comes on size 54 bikes and lower as opposed to the bigger seat mast of 175mm which comes on bikes 56 and larger. Based on all the responses I think I see what the answer is likely to be :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
Can you try the 52 with the longer stem?
Or get lifts in your shoes?
or maybe it’s just not the right bike frame for you?

OP
OP
T

Tapper3279

Regular

My first thought too, is that you may need shorter cranks than standard.

170mm or even 165mm may help you with your relatively short legs.

That was the problem, Trek Emonda use a proprietary Seat mast which doesn't allow the seat to be dropped that far. I think I could get the 54 maybe but my legs would be at a stretch I think. The 52 does use a smaller crank. From Trek's site -
  • Size: 50, 52 - Shimano 105 R7000, 50/34 (compact), 170 mm length
  • Size: 54, 56, 58 - Shimano 105 R7000, 50/34 (compact), 172.5 mm length
but there isn't a massive difference there anyway.

I'm thinking the EMonda might not work for me. Tbh I'm not too keen to buy a 2.5k bike and then start spending another few hundred on cranks and stems to make a small bike work for me although I do realise that is what some people like to do. ^_^

OP
OP
T

Tapper3279

Regular
Can you try the 52 with the longer stem?
Or get lifts in your shoes?
or maybe it’s just not the right bike frame for you?

I don't think I can get them to put it on the bike for me to try and tbh it sounds like this just won't be the right fit for me. Maybe I will try 54 again to see if I can make that work! Thanks!

vickster

Legendary Member
That’s pretty rubbish if they won’t given the spend and having suggested it. It’s a 5 minute job. I’ve certainly had bike shops change stems and saddles for test rides (and had no issue when I didn’t buy in the end!)

OP
OP
T

Tapper3279

Regular
That’s pretty rubbish if they won’t given the spend and having suggested it. It’s a 5 minute job. I’ve certainly had bike shops change stems and saddles for test rides (and had no issue when I didn’t buy in the end!)

Oh nah thats not the case at all!!! :laugh:

I hadn't asked them to do it as I thought it would just look like me slouched over a bit more.

The shop was actually super helpful and happy to accomodate me on several test rides around the car park including taking multiple pics and videos for me. They spent a lot of time with me and in all honesty if I had asked them to try a different stem for me they seem like they would have done it.

I forgot to mention them in the first post but this is the shop. They were friendly and really helpful and I would have no problems buying from them. Rosie and Keith helped me there -

Criterium Cycles in Edinburgh

Milzy

Guru
If you really want to be racey a 120mm stem on that could work. All the pros deliberately size down to save weight & you can still stretch out & get low.

Top Bottom