Bike for 2 year old female.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
The princess is 2 soon. Do I A) buy her a balance bike B) buy her a pedal bike with stabilisers. C) she's too young for bikes??

alicat

Legendary Member
A balance bike when she is about 2 1/2. A bike with stabilisers doesn't teach her balance.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Balance bike.
Stabilizers are the work of the devil and do more to hamper a child's progress than encourage it.
I speak as a dad who's youngest didn't get away from the bloody things till she was 8 or 9 and that took some doing.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Yep another balance bike fan here. My youngest started at one year old. Last month at 3 1/2 he progressed naturally onto a pedal bike. Two weeks ago he rode an 8km ride with me, fast learner when he wants too!

Again after having two kids progress naturally from balance bikes to pedal bikes I feel stabilisers are the devil's work and no use near kids. Just let them progress at their own speed and they'll easily make the transition from balance bike to pedal bike when their good and ready.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Balance bike.... and don't force it, but equally if a friend can do it perhaps meet at the park....? Kids that age love to copy their friends....

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Balance bike. Scooter is great, but because it's easier they gravitate towards it. When she was littler, I would 'loose' my daughter's scooter every other day so she alternated. Parental abuse I think they call it now a days.

She is good on both now. Rubbish at badminton though.

Another balance bike fan here! My 3 year old loves his balance bike and also his scooter. We haven't yet made the transition to a bike without stabilizers, but both have provided a confidence boost... and both good fun without having to think too hard.

byegad

Legendary Member
'Proper' child's bike, remove chain, and entire pedal assembly from the bottom bracket. You now have a balance bike. Once she's scooting it around keeping balance refit chain and pedal assembly, and she's got a bike.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
My lad was on a balance bike age 2.5, and onto a bike with pedals aged 4.5. Took 20 minutes to get the hang of it, and 40 minutes to be confident. Had some practice on pedal toys at Nursery.

The key is motivation - he saw his Dad come home from work on his bike every day, and had a fantastic time on the back of my bike aged 1.5 on holiday. Cried at the first stop as he thought the ride was over! Now loves his rides with Dad on Saturdays. 6.5 miles, but with several stops, including one for ice cream.

Top Bottom