Bike for 2 year old female.

Discussion in 'Family and Recreational Cycling' started by Milzy, 1 May 2017.

1. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Moderator

No it's not! A tricycle is a totally different way of moving and taking corners. A balance bike is the best thing at age 2.

Milzy likes this.
  2. cyberknight

cyberknight Legendary Member

Another vote for balance bike, daughter started on one and when i took the stabilizers off her "proper " bike she was riding it within 10 minutes.

3. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Legendary Member

A combination works. A toddler will get further, faster on a trike or with stabilisers, while being more relaxed and getting used to pedalling. You can also pull a child along on one when they're too tired to pedal, which you can't with a balance bike. Using one in conjunction with a balance bike has no ill effects.

cyberknight likes this.
  4. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Moderator

I was a cruel parent I made my kids walk miles:laugh:

theclaud and Mister Paul like this.
  5. cyberknight

cyberknight Legendary Member

Yes
    thats how we did it, mini ck had a balance bike and bike with stabilzers , swapping when she felt like it.
    She was 4 and a half when she rode without stabilizers , could have ben sooner but her birthdays mid winter so it take a few months out of th equation.

6. Ian H

Ian H Guru

I'd suggest a balance bike, same as for a for 2 year old male, except of course it should be pink.

7. OP
    OP
    Milzy

Milzy Über Member

She has a great pink balance bike. Just needs to get some time on it.

8. Black Sheep

Black Sheep Veteran

how does your lad travel with you on a ride, his own bike or a tag-along or a seat?
    My daughter is too big for a seat but would love to get some more rides in

9. atbman

atbman Veteran

Many of the kids we teach (one or two each week) are 3 or 4 years old, but we have taught 2 year olds (nearly 3 years IIRC) perfectly successfully. In each case via the balance bike route. We average 50+ kids riding for the first time each year for going on 12/15 years.

10. BrumJim

BrumJim Poster

My lad travels on his own bike, but just for trips around the park. I also have a seat for him. We did some rides with him in the seat over summer, but he's not really into it, and also getting quite heavy for the bike.

Milzy likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice