Bike for a complete novice...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Someone was telling me to get stabilizers at the beginning to get used to being on the bike... But I'm not sure...
Stabilisers don't teach you to how to balance on two wheels, which is the first thing you need to learn.

I'm no expert, but I understand the best way to learn to ride is to remove the pedals, lower the seat and then scoot it along with your feet. This teaches you how to balance (check out how children learn on balance bikes, its the same concept).
I'm sure you'd be able to find a bikeability instructor locally who has experience of teaching adults to ride.
^^ because that's how it should be done.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I'm no expert, butI understand the best way to learn to ride is to remove the pedals, lower the seat and then sccot it along with your feet.

That's pretty much how I learnt, tho' I didn't remove the pedals. Going home with my parents, scooting along the kerb & came to a junction. Just lifted my feet up & started pedalling.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I will go find her (The bike and the @ScotiaLass) It is compulsory! I don't even own a bike and I'm already thinking of names for it... :wub:
This is Priscilla...my Specialized Mountain Bike and the love of my life!

pristine_Priscilla.jpg

And I also own Arabella, a Dawes hybrid bike which I use for longer rides and shopping trips...

dawes.png

OP
OP
amaquima

amaquima

Regular
Raleigh do a range of 'classic' ladies bikes: http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/?pc=1&pt=266&pr=10

My wife has the Caprice:

CAP16WWT.JPG

which has nice, simplehub gears operated by a twist grip which she likes very much. It is very much lighter than my Bike Shaped Object (BSO)!
If you want more gears they do a bike with derailer gears. It looks like there is a dealer in Lymington as well: http://www.raleigh.co.uk/DealerLocator/Dealer/64b6ad9b/FigguresCycles.

I love it! :biggrin: I have been lusting over this one:
61l4AWndyKL._SL1000_.jpg

But it might be too heavy, based on the advice I've been receiving around here.

I went to Figgures today... Got told to try a MTB and nothing else... I think I probably don't look like a prospective bike buyer so they don't bother trying to sell me anything... Oh well, it's their loss...

Attachments

• CAP16WWT.JPG
    CAP16WWT.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 61l4AWndyKL._SL1000_.jpg
    61l4AWndyKL._SL1000_.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 25

Sara_H

Guru
I love it! :biggrin: I have been lusting over this one:
61l4AWndyKL._SL1000_.jpg

But it might be too heavy, based on the advice I've been receiving around here.

I went to Figgures today... Got told to try a MTB and nothing else... I think I probably don't look like a prospective bike buyer so they don't bother trying to sell me anything... Oh well, it's their loss...
Is that a Caprice too? I've got a vintage Raleight Caprice Its in the garage though, doesn't see any action.

Attachments

• 61l4AWndyKL._SL1000_.jpg
    61l4AWndyKL._SL1000_.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 24

mybike

Is that a Caprice too? I've got a vintage Raleight Caprice Its in the garage though, doesn't see any action.

No, the Caprice has a 3 gear Sturmey Archer hub & the frame is slightly different in design, being aluminium alloy to that steel frame.

OP
OP
amaquima

amaquima

Regular
This is Priscilla...my Specialized Mountain Bike and the love of my life!

View attachment 88380

And I also own Arabella, a Dawes hybrid bike which I use for longer rides and shopping trips...

View attachment 88381
Ah! The famous Priscilla! :wahhey:I've been here for 1 day and I have already heard loads about it! ;) So pretty! Though I think Arabella is closer to what I have in mind... TBH, I want a bike where I don't have to lean too much...

This is pretty much how I imagine myself :rolleyes:

F100612MT07.jpg

:hyper:

Attachments

• F100612MT07.jpg
    F100612MT07.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 26

mybike

Really sorry to hear that. Mind you, my wife had to ring around a number of shops before she could find one who would order her the Caprice.

So much to learn! This single post left squinting at all the terms! :wacko:

Sorry about that, you really don't need to worry about gears yet but there is a great deal of info on this site and, as has been mentioned, at http://sheldonbrown.com/beginners.html. I hadn't really cycled for about 50 years when I got my son's old bike working again & was goaded by my wife into riding it. I've learnt a lot since November, now I'm a bore! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Sara_H

Guru
Ah! The famous Priscilla! :wahhey:I've been here for 1 day and I have already heard loads about it! ;) So pretty! Though I think Arabella is closer to what I have in mind... TBH, I want a bike where I don't have to lean too much...

This is pretty much how I imagine myself :rolleyes:

F100612MT07.jpg

:hyper:
Arabella is a Dawes Mojave, which is what I have as my main bike.
I've put a big basket on the front, panniers on the back. Great for shopping, commuting and trails. Can't fault it, though not quite as pretty as some of the bikes you've posted here.

Attachments

• F100612MT07.jpg
    F100612MT07.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 25

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I really urge you to get a light bike. I can't remember there being too many hills around Lymington, but if you take the ferry to Yarmouth, you may be in for a bit of a shock.

Top Bottom