Bike for a complete novice...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amaquima

Regular
So, I can't ride a bike... At all... I think the last time I tried to learn was about 15 years ago!
But I'm determined to learn and one day maybe even use it to go to work... However, I have no idea what to buy... I went to Halford's yesterday and got told that I should look for a 16" frame, but I´ve been jumping from website to website and they all give me different answers... I'm 5'7", so maybe they are not that far off and I was planning to go for either a size 16" or 17".

These are the ones I´m considering...
Kingston Women's Dalston Hybrid Bike - Metallic Blue, 16-Inch
Ecosmo 26" New Ladies Beach Cruiser/Lowridger Bicycle
Elswick Women's Cantebury Comfort Bike
Elswick Women's Infinity Heritage Bike

Any advice would be hugely appreciated! I know I should probably be looking for a hybrid, but I have a crush with anything that looks girly and pretty... But I know that's not the way I should be approaching this...

sidevalve

Über Member
Nothing wrong with pretty BUT remember these points
1 - you will have to pedal it - keep it light - look for 10 kg some of the cheaper ones are nearly double this
2 - Halfords can be ok but sometimes their 'mechanics' can be iffy at best [depends on the store].
3 - if you haven't already check out Sheldon Browns website - there is just sooo much info there.
4 - if you like the 'ladies' frame fine [never mind the purists - it's your bike] but it will be heavier - don't be afraid to try a 'gents' frame
5 - go round lot's of bike stores and try the things out [it's part of the fun anyway]
6 - do not be blinded by the number of gears - it's the range that matters. I live up in county Durham and it is hilly and I have no problems with only a set of 16 - but I could manage with less [and no I am NOT super fit]
7 - if you have a bike shop nearby go in and see if they have a second hand deals - many do and they will be [usually] good bikes checked over and much cheaper then the equivalent new.
8 - lastly and this is important HAVE FUN !!!!!

13 rider

Guru
As above take your time and try to look at bikes in the flesh so you can try for size . Don't limited your option by just looking at women specific bikes . there is a photo on the site of @scots_lass bike ( called prescilla ) very girlie you'll like it . Search not working at the moment but worth searching later. Naming your bike seems to be compulsory for the fairer sex

Sara_H

Guru
Hello Amaquima and welcome.

Are there any cycling groups local to you that could help you with learning to ride? In Sheffield where I live the local authority partially fund a scheme called cycleboost that promotes cycling in the area. They have some training sessions for adults who can't ride at all, they've helped loads of non-riders learn.
They also do bike maintenance courses etc.

As for what bike, its all down to individual taste and obviously the terrain that you'll be covering, what you'll use the bike for. I have a Dawes Mojave step through frame bike, it's very practical and has a good range of gears for the hill area I live in. I also have a Brompton folding bike which I use mostly if I'm using it in combination with train or car.

I'd recomend shopping around a little and getting more ideas elsewhere. The staff in my local Halfords are good, but nationally they have a poor reputation for not offering good advice and not being very good at building bikes - they may have recomended something decent but it might be a idea to try other places too.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I'll throw Decathlon and Edinburgh Bikes into the mix for affordable good bikes and both do a ladies range. Daughter & Wife have bikes from these 2 respectively (Elops5 & Revolution Heritage) both very good VFM and solidly built.

In terms of being a novice cyclist, most councils and their transport departments do cycle training from complete beginners upwards, google it too as there are Bikeability and other providers out there doing similar courses for free or a fee. My wife had never cycled & wouldn't let me help... had a 4 hour session with Bikeright in Manchester and came back capable and safe to ride.

Have fun

OP
OP
amaquima

amaquima

Regular
As above take your time and try to look at bikes in the flesh so you can try for size . Don't limited your option by just looking at women specific bikes . there is a photo on the site of @scots_lass bike ( called prescilla ) very girlie you'll like it . Search not working at the moment but worth searching later. Naming your bike seems to be compulsory for the fairer sex

I will go find her (The bike and the @ScotiaLass) It is compulsory! I don't even own a bike and I'm already thinking of names for it... :wub:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Not girly, or particularly pretty but you can soon 'pretty it up, I would think.
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-flat-bar-road-bike-black-id_8322664.html
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/fit-300-flat-bar-road-bike-id_8306479.html

Only 11.5kg or so. They are bound to have more ladylike bikes in the store too.

OP
OP
amaquima

amaquima

Regular
Nothing wrong with pretty BUT remember these points
1 - you will have to pedal it - keep it light - look for 10 kg some of the cheaper ones are nearly double this
2 - Halfords can be ok but sometimes their 'mechanics' can be iffy at best [depends on the store].
3 - if you haven't already check out Sheldon Browns website - there is just sooo much info there.
4 - if you like the 'ladies' frame fine [never mind the purists - it's your bike] but it will be heavier - don't be afraid to try a 'gents' frame
5 - go round lot's of bike stores and try the things out [it's part of the fun anyway]
6 - do not be blinded by the number of gears - it's the range that matters. I live up in county Durham and it is hilly and I have no problems with only a set of 16 - but I could manage with less [and no I am NOT super fit]
7 - if you have a bike shop nearby go in and see if they have a second hand deals - many do and they will be [usually] good bikes checked over and much cheaper then the equivalent new.
8 - lastly and this is important HAVE FUN !!!!!

Thanks for all the advice! I hadn't really put much thought to weight, but it is so obviously important! I might have to rethink my original shortlist...

OP
OP
amaquima

amaquima

Regular
Hello Amaquima and welcome.

Are there any cycling groups local to you that could help you with learning to ride? In Sheffield where I live the local authority partially fund a scheme called cycleboost that promotes cycling in the area. They have some training sessions for adults who can't ride at all, they've helped loads of non-riders learn.
They also do bike maintenance courses etc.

As for what bike, its all down to individual taste and obviously the terrain that you'll be covering, what you'll use the bike for. I have a Dawes Mojave step through frame bike, it's very practical and has a good range of gears for the hill area I live in. I also have a Brompton folding bike which I use mostly if I'm using it in combination with train or car.

I'd recomend shopping around a little and getting more ideas elsewhere. The staff in my local Halfords are good, but nationally they have a poor reputation for not offering good advice and not being very good at building bikes - they may have recomended something decent but it might be a idea to try other places too.

The guys from my Halford's couldn't be any less interested in me... You would think they might try to sell me anything given my ignorance... But they couldn't care less.
I've found a scheme in Southampton, I might do some more research... Someone was telling me to get stabilizers at the beginning to get used to being on the bike... But I'm not sure...

OP
OP
amaquima

amaquima

Regular
Nothing wrong with the style you are looking at, particularly if it's quite flat where you live. Weight matters much less on the flat, hills are where you'll notice it.

The ones you have linked to really are very heavy though and you can do better even at Halfords, such as this (but in a smaller size):
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...rby-limited-edition-hybrid-bike-white-19#tab2

@ScotiaLass has a womens MTB, and very nice it is too.

Yeah, I quite like those... I will keep looking around, but will keep it in mind.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Raleigh do a range of 'classic' ladies bikes: http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/?pc=1&pt=266&pr=10

My wife has the Caprice:

CAP16WWT.JPG

which has nice, simplehub gears operated by a twist grip which she likes very much. It is very much lighter than my Bike Shaped Object (BSO)!
If you want more gears they do a bike with derailer gears. It looks like there is a dealer in Lymington as well: http://www.raleigh.co.uk/DealerLocator/Dealer/64b6ad9b/FigguresCycles.

Attachments

• CAP16WWT.JPG
    CAP16WWT.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 48

Sara_H

Guru
The guys from my Halford's couldn't be any less interested in me... You would think they might try to sell me anything given my ignorance... But they couldn't care less.
I've found a scheme in Southampton, I might do some more research... Someone was telling me to get stabilizers at the beginning to get used to being on the bike... But I'm not sure...
Definitely try a couple of other shops then.
I'm no expert, butI understand the best way to learn to ride is to remove the pedals, lower the seat and then sccot it along with your feet. This teaches you how to balance (check out how children learn on balance bikes, its the same concept).
I'm sure you'd be able to find a bikeability instructor locally who has experience of teaching adults to ride.

Raleigh do a range of 'classic' ladies bikes: http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/?pc=1&pt=266&pr=10

My wife has the Caprice:

CAP16WWT.JPG

which has nice, simplehub gears operated by a twist grip which she likes very much. It is very much lighter than my Bike Shaped Object (BSO)!
If you want more gears they do a bike with derailer gears. It looks like there is a dealer in Lymington as well: http://www.raleigh.co.uk/DealerLocator/Dealer/64b6ad9b/FigguresCycles.
Thats very pretty!

Attachments

• CAP16WWT.JPG
    CAP16WWT.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 43
Top Bottom